RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] 1827 Listing of Slaves

  • foxhome
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 27, 2010

      Ted,

      I have the following names on the slave listing. Following my last email, I am now going to restrict the information I am handing out. Hope you understand.

      Best wishes

      Colin

      Name Age

      Molly Knipe

      46

      David Knipe

      19

      Margaret Knipe

      15

      Benjamin Knipe

      12

      Lucy Knipe

      13

      Sukey Knipe

      31

      Nelly Knipe

      20

      Sophia Knipe

      14

      Margaret Knipe

      11

      John Knipe

      19

      William Knipe

      33

      William Knipe

      40

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 27, 2010
        Hi, I'm not Colin, but I did find some data on the Maggott family some time ago. They were slaves of the East India Co. Benjamin married Margaret James in Dec. 1810. Two sons, Charles and Banjamin, were born in 1820, though I think there may have been an error in the date of one. Charles died here in Hawaii in Aug 1859. Benjamin settled in New Bedford, MA. Both apparently changed their names to Magnett. I too would be interested in any additional info on the Maggott/Magnett families.

        Leonard Meek
        Hawaii

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 27, 2010
          Thank you Leonard, though there is no link (yet) from your Maggotts to mine.

          My maternal ggf was a  JOHN BENJAMIN MAGGOTT born on St Helena about 1868. He left the island and settled, with his family, in Cape Town about 1890. Interesting though that the name Benjamin occurs again.

          John

          On 27 July 2010 19:24, Leonard Meek <lemeek@...> wrote:

          Hi, I'm not Colin, but I did find some data on the Maggott family some time ago. They were slaves of the East India Co. Benjamin married Margaret James in Dec. 1810. Two sons, Charles and Banjamin, were born in 1820, though I think there may have been an error in the date of one. Charles died here in Hawaii in Aug 1859. Benjamin settled in New Bedford, MA. Both apparently changed their names to Magnett. I too would be interested in any additional info on the Maggott/Magnett families.

          Leonard Meek
          Hawaii

          I would appreciate any listing you have found of the name "Maggott" or it's variants.
          Regards,
          John

        • Leonard Meek
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 27, 2010
            Hi John.

            I've read that some of the Maggott's became Maggett's, Macket's, and even Margate's, in addition to Magnett.

            Leonard

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 21, 2011
              John, last year you posted a request for info on the name, "Maggott." I have some tentative data on a Benjamin Maggott, who was my G-G-G-Grandfather. He was a slave for the East India Company. The name (in our case) was apparently changed to Magnett. There were at least two lines of Magnett descendants, one settling in New Bedford and the other in Hawaii. I'm sure there were others that I'm not aware of. I hope this helps.

              Leonard