1827 Listing of Slaves

  • Ted Swart
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 27, 2010
      Slave ancestry in St Helena.

      In my case I am interested in Sarah Bassett-Knipe (Bazett Knipe?) who
      emigrated to Tristan da Cunha in 1827. She is possibly connected with
      William Knipe and Sarah Maria Bazett who got married on St Helena in
      1801, My Sarah Bassett-Knipe or one of her parents may well have been a
      slave. Any luck?

      . . Ted Swart . .
    • foxhome
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 27, 2010

        John, There are plenty of Maggotts or Maggetts – the names seem to be interchangeable. I think it was written down as spoken rather than as spelt out – that applies to all the names.

        Regards

        Colin

        No

        Name of Proprietior

        Name of Slave

        Age

        Description

        Value £

        Remarks

        6

        Captain Bennett

        William Maggott

        55

        Cook and poulterer, tolerably useful in his own way but an infirm worn out old man; character indifferent.

        12

        381

        Mr Alfred Isaacke

        David Maggott

        44

        A good farm labourer an industrious well behaved servant

        80

        382

        Mr Alfred Isaacke

        Jacob Maggott

        46

        A tolerable mason and farm servant hires himself and pays £12 a year married and has 10 children  4 of them free afflicted in his urinary organs

        35

        A very deserving man

        422

        Mr R Julio

        George Maggott

        32

        A cook and good groom  and carter a good horse breaker character pretty fair let out for £14 per year

        100

        606

        Mrs A Hodson (non resident)

        Mary Maggott

        32

        A good houseservant and nurse  a widow no encumbrances let out for £10/year a respectable woman

        30

        775

        Mr R Scott jun

        Henry Maggett

        38

        Labourer and useful servant character formerly notoriously bad reported to be well behaved of late

        Not valued No 18

        802

        Mrs S Stewart

        George Maggett

        20

        Labourer let out for £12,,12 per year character good

        90

        803

        Mrs S Stewart

        Jogn Maggett

        18

        House servant let out for £12 per year

        80

        804

        Mrs S Stewart

        Robert Maggett

        15

        Labouring boy let out a simple boy

        20

        805

        Mrs S Stewart

        Francis Maggett

        10

        Smart active errand boy

        40

        806

        Mrs S Stewart

        Jane Maggett

        12

        A very useful girl clever at her needle

        25

        822

        Mr Barker

        Charles Maggett

        34

        A mower stockman and butcher a good cook of good character has received a premium let out for £15 per year

        110

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 27, 2010

          Ted,

          I have the following names on the slave listing. Following my last email, I am now going to restrict the information I am handing out. Hope you understand.

          Best wishes

          Colin

          Name Age

          Molly Knipe

          46

          David Knipe

          19

          Margaret Knipe

          15

          Benjamin Knipe

          12

          Lucy Knipe

          13

          Sukey Knipe

          31

          Nelly Knipe

          20

          Sophia Knipe

          14

          Margaret Knipe

          11

          John Knipe

          19

          William Knipe

          33

          William Knipe

          40

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 27, 2010
            Hi, I'm not Colin, but I did find some data on the Maggott family some time ago. They were slaves of the East India Co. Benjamin married Margaret James in Dec. 1810. Two sons, Charles and Banjamin, were born in 1820, though I think there may have been an error in the date of one. Charles died here in Hawaii in Aug 1859. Benjamin settled in New Bedford, MA. Both apparently changed their names to Magnett. I too would be interested in any additional info on the Maggott/Magnett families.

            Leonard Meek
            Hawaii

            I would appreciate any listing you have found of the name "Maggott" or it's variants.
            Regards,
            John
          • John Dady
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 27, 2010
              Thank you Leonard, though there is no link (yet) from your Maggotts to mine.

              My maternal ggf was a  JOHN BENJAMIN MAGGOTT born on St Helena about 1868. He left the island and settled, with his family, in Cape Town about 1890. Interesting though that the name Benjamin occurs again.

              John

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 27, 2010
                Hi John.

                I've read that some of the Maggott's became Maggett's, Macket's, and even Margate's, in addition to Magnett.

                Leonard

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 21, 2011
                  John, last year you posted a request for info on the name, "Maggott." I have some tentative data on a Benjamin Maggott, who was my G-G-G-Grandfather. He was a slave for the East India Company. The name (in our case) was apparently changed to Magnett. There were at least two lines of Magnett descendants, one settling in New Bedford and the other in Hawaii. I'm sure there were others that I'm not aware of. I hope this helps.

                  Leonard