1827 Listing of Slaves

  • John Dady
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 27, 2010
      Hi Colin,
      I would appreciate any listing you have found of the name "Maggott" or it's variants.
      Regards,
      John
    • Ted Swart
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 27, 2010
        Slave ancestry in St Helena.

        In my case I am interested in Sarah Bassett-Knipe (Bazett Knipe?) who
        emigrated to Tristan da Cunha in 1827. She is possibly connected with
        William Knipe and Sarah Maria Bazett who got married on St Helena in
        1801, My Sarah Bassett-Knipe or one of her parents may well have been a
        slave. Any luck?

        . . Ted Swart . .
      • foxhome
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 27, 2010

          John, There are plenty of Maggotts or Maggetts – the names seem to be interchangeable. I think it was written down as spoken rather than as spelt out – that applies to all the names.

          Regards

          Colin

          No

          Name of Proprietior

          Name of Slave

          Age

          Description

          Value £

          Remarks

          6

          Captain Bennett

          William Maggott

          55

          Cook and poulterer, tolerably useful in his own way but an infirm worn out old man; character indifferent.

          12

          381

          Mr Alfred Isaacke

          David Maggott

          44

          A good farm labourer an industrious well behaved servant

          80

          382

          Mr Alfred Isaacke

          Jacob Maggott

          46

          A tolerable mason and farm servant hires himself and pays £12 a year married and has 10 children  4 of them free afflicted in his urinary organs

          35

          A very deserving man

          422

          Mr R Julio

          George Maggott

          32

          A cook and good groom  and carter a good horse breaker character pretty fair let out for £14 per year

          100

          606

          Mrs A Hodson (non resident)

          Mary Maggott

          32

          A good houseservant and nurse  a widow no encumbrances let out for £10/year a respectable woman

          30

          775

          Mr R Scott jun

          Henry Maggett

          38

          Labourer and useful servant character formerly notoriously bad reported to be well behaved of late

          Not valued No 18

          802

          Mrs S Stewart

          George Maggett

          20

          Labourer let out for £12,,12 per year character good

          90

          803

          Mrs S Stewart

          Jogn Maggett

          18

          House servant let out for £12 per year

          80

          804

          Mrs S Stewart

          Robert Maggett

          15

          Labouring boy let out a simple boy

          20

          805

          Mrs S Stewart

          Francis Maggett

          10

          Smart active errand boy

          40

          806

          Mrs S Stewart

          Jane Maggett

          12

          A very useful girl clever at her needle

          25

          822

          Mr Barker

          Charles Maggett

          34

          A mower stockman and butcher a good cook of good character has received a premium let out for £15 per year

          110

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 27, 2010

            Ted,

            I have the following names on the slave listing. Following my last email, I am now going to restrict the information I am handing out. Hope you understand.

            Best wishes

            Colin

            Name Age

            Molly Knipe

            46

            David Knipe

            19

            Margaret Knipe

            15

            Benjamin Knipe

            12

            Lucy Knipe

            13

            Sukey Knipe

            31

            Nelly Knipe

            20

            Sophia Knipe

            14

            Margaret Knipe

            11

            John Knipe

            19

            William Knipe

            33

            William Knipe

            40

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 27, 2010
              Hi, I'm not Colin, but I did find some data on the Maggott family some time ago. They were slaves of the East India Co. Benjamin married Margaret James in Dec. 1810. Two sons, Charles and Banjamin, were born in 1820, though I think there may have been an error in the date of one. Charles died here in Hawaii in Aug 1859. Benjamin settled in New Bedford, MA. Both apparently changed their names to Magnett. I too would be interested in any additional info on the Maggott/Magnett families.

              Leonard Meek
              Hawaii

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 27, 2010
                Thank you Leonard, though there is no link (yet) from your Maggotts to mine.

                My maternal ggf was a  JOHN BENJAMIN MAGGOTT born on St Helena about 1868. He left the island and settled, with his family, in Cape Town about 1890. Interesting though that the name Benjamin occurs again.

                John

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 27, 2010
                  Hi John.

                  I've read that some of the Maggott's became Maggett's, Macket's, and even Margate's, in addition to Magnett.

                  Leonard

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 21, 2011
                    John, last year you posted a request for info on the name, "Maggott." I have some tentative data on a Benjamin Maggott, who was my G-G-G-Grandfather. He was a slave for the East India Company. The name (in our case) was apparently changed to Magnett. There were at least two lines of Magnett descendants, one settling in New Bedford and the other in Hawaii. I'm sure there were others that I'm not aware of. I hope this helps.

                    Leonard