Re: BASSETT-KNIPE

  • tedswart
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 22, 2010
      Like Pam Allman I am descended from Sarah Bassett-Knipe (and her husband Richard Riley) and I have long been interested in tracking down her ancestry. Sarah is my great great grandmother and from what little I know she was classified as "mulatto". She is also reported as having been born in St Helena about 1804.
      I recently checked the family search web pages at
      http://fsbeta.familysearch.org
      and came up with the following information:
      There was a marriage on St Helena between William Knipe and and Sarah Bazett (Bassett?) on 31 Oct 1801.
      The children I have managed to track down are:
      Henry Wm Knipe Chr 1 Aug 1802
      Edward Charles Knipe Chr 27 Jume 1811, Born 20 Jan 1810
      Elizabeth Charlotte Bazett Knipe Chr 1812, Born 9 Feb 1812

      It seems eminenlty reasonable that Sarah Bassett-Knipe (or Bazett Knipe) was also a daughter -- born about 1804.
      The earliest known Bazett (or Bassett) on St Helena was, of course, Capt. Matthew Bazett (Bassett?) who arrived in St Helena in January 1684.

      Thanks for any help you can give.

      . . Ted Swart . .

      Can anyone confirm this or add additional information?

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Pam Allman" <pam.allman@...> wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > I am looking for information regarding my great grandmother who came
      > from St Helena. My great grandfather (from the UK) was shipwrecked
      > off the coast of Tristan Da Cunha in 1820 and settled to live with the
      > few islanders already there.
      >
      > In 1826 when Capt. Ammon of the Norwegian whaling sloop Duke of
      > Gloucester called at Tristan, the governor requested that he try and
      > find brides for the 5 bachelor men on the island. In April 1827 he
      > returned with five young women of mixed Negro blood from St. Helena.
      >
      > One of these ladies was SARAH BASSETT-KNIPE and she lived with RICHARD
      > RILEY for many years before leaving the island for SA where they both
      > died.
      >
      > I know nothing of this lady and I would welcome any suggestions.
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Pam Allman

    • Christine Adams
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 22, 2010
        The Knipe family of St. Helena has been extensively researched, and the results published by Glennis Snell of South Africa.
        Interestingly, her work makes no mention of a Sarah Bassett-Knipe, or indeed of any Sarah Knipe b. abt. 1804. There is not any mention of a Richard Riley either.
        She does document the family of William Knipe ca. 1777-1812 and Sarah Maria Bazett ca. 1785-1835.
        As you found, they were married 31 Oct. 1801
        Snell lists 6 children of this marriage-
        1.Henry William Knipe 1801-1826, 1823 md. Mary Ann Newton
        2.Thomas Bazett Knipe 1803-1873 md. 1828 to Elizabeth Ann Barker
        3.Helen Ann Knipe 1805-1867 md. 1823 James Bruce Mason
        4.William John Brabazon Knipe 1807-1842 md. 1829 Charlotte Margaret Grice
        5.Edward Charles Knipe 1810-1812
        6.Elizabeth Charlotte Bazett Knipe 1812-1889 md. 1828 William Patrick Sampson
        [Child #6 was born after her father's death].
        Sarah Maria Bazett md. 2nd in 1815 to John Alexander Wright
        They had at least one child:
        John Alexander Britanicus Wright b. 1816, md. 1842 to Louisa Charlotte Barber.

        According to the 1814 census of St. Helena, the widow Sarah Maria Bazett Knipe had a household of 3 white boys, two white girls, and 13 black servants.

        I checked my own research on my Knipe line, and have no record of your Sarah either.
        Sorry I couldn't be of help.

        Christine

        To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
        From: ted.swart@...