Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Researching Henry Williams

  • shaun paulsen
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 21 3:53 AM

      From: "carolyncw50@..." <carolyncw50@...>
      To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tue, July 20, 2010 3:39:59 PM
      Subject: RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Researching Henry Williams

      Thank you, Colin. I will look for more info on Jane Williams and her two free children, to start.
      Carolyn -----Original Message-----
      Date: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 7:16:29 am
      To: <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com>
      From: "foxhome" <colin@...>

      Carolyn, can offer you this from the 1827 list of slaves with surname William or Williams

      No

      Name of Proprietior

      Name of Slave

      Age

      Description

      Value £

      188

      Mr John Burnham

      James Williams

      38

      A farm labourer carried wood to town daily his master allows him one day to himself by which he wholly maintains himself without any expense to his master

      85

      237

      Estate of R Hayes deceased

      Eddy Williams

      19

      A labourer impediment in his speech bad character

      265

      Mr J De Fountain and cont at No 273

      William Williams

      18

      Farm Labourer strong and healthy

      80

      274

      Mr De Foutain cont from No 268

      James Williams

      15

      A farm boy, character pretty fair reformed from being a runaway

      35

      387

      Mr Alfred Isaacke

      Flora Williams

      19

      Washerwoman and house servant tolerable character

      30

      412

      John Roakes estate

      Jane Williams

      30

      A good washerwoman has 2 free children hires herself out for £5 per year a respectable married woman

      25

      416

      Mr Prince

      Sarah Williams

      42

      A nurse and house servant let out no encumbrance unmarried

      30

      463

      Mr E Kay

      Sarah Williams

      16

      Useful servant a good market woman

      35

      537

      Major Seale

      George Williams

      40

      Market hand and labourer goes to town daily very good character [Cohabits with Sophia Odein slave to Mrs David Kay aka Mrs E Kay

      90

      558

      Mr S Pritchard

      William Williams

      20

      Generally useful servant can cook groom etc

      95

      609

      Captain Torbett

      Kitty Williams

      19

      Washerwoman

      25

      668

      W & J Burnie of London

      Richard William

      24

      A good carter has been a garden labourer a good willing and generally useful servant healthy

      105

      669

      W & J Burnie of London

      John William

      22

      A clever house and personal servant waits well at table very trustworthy and generally useful

      105

      801

      Mr William Henry Seale

      Lucy William

      16

      Nurse and house servant not well disposed

      20

      Regards

      Colin

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 21 4:19 AM

        Ian, Can offer you this

        No

        Name of Proprietior

        Name of Slave

        Age

        Description

        Value £

        Remarks

        50

        Rev R Boys

        Charles Wade

        26

        A useful servant generally Carter and a good groom. Has paid for himself lately £13/year. Now on his own hands a healthy young man

        75

        Mr Boys states to the committee that he wishes it to be noted that he does not expect any compensation from the Honble Compy on the emancipation of these slaves although he wishes to defer their boa fide freedom for the present.

        201

        Mr Blake (and continued at no 408

        William Wade

        19

        A farm labourer character pretty fair

        65

        205

        Mr Blake (and continued at no 412

        Thomas Wade

        16

        Takes milk to market and employed in the house character indifferent has been a runaway

        50

        Colin

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 21 4:38 AM
          Thank you so much, Colin!

          Where did you get this slave list from?

          All the very best
          IAN

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 21 4:42 AM

            It is in the British library and is part of the India Office Records under shelfmark F/4/1264

            I am in the process of transcribing the whole record

            Regards

            Colin

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 21 10:29 PM
                Hi Colin

                I am looking for 4 Tobias brothers who when freed as slaves emigrated to South Africa. Two of their names are Frederick, Samuel.
                I am also looking my Grandfather surnamed Dobson who married a "Rock Rabbit" as the women of St Helena were called.

                Kind regards

                Shaun Paulsen

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 23 2:52 AM

                  Hi Shaun, sorry no Tobias’s on my list of slaves

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 23 3:56 AM

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 23 4:08 AM
                      Hi Shaun:

                      Perhaps he changed his name after he was free. Or if he was already freed, he would not be on the 1827 list.

                      Carolyn

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 26 10:21 PM
                        The deputy Minister of Justice is looking for his ancestors, the surnames" Ruhrmund" and" Honmar"...I believe that Honmar is of British descent...any names like that? I would appreciate it so much if there are any . Thanks Colin.
                        We are also busy with the combination of all slave records in south Africa, and will link the same to digital images taken in South Africa...

                        Isebelle E.Krauss*Lloyd
                        27 954 6666 h
                        082 851 5648 mobile
                         011 645 1606 office

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 27 2:21 AM

                          Isebelle, Sorry, there are no names on the listing similar to Honmar. I am only looking at slaves in St Helena in 1827 – did his family come from the island?

                          Interested to hear of your digitising program. Will this information be available online?

                          Regards

                          Colin