Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Researching Henry Williams

  • Ian Morris
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 21, 2010
      Hi Colin

      I noticed this e-mail that you sent Carolyn. Where can one get hold of this list of slaves?? Could you please check the surname Wade if you can?

      Many thanks
      IAN

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 21, 2010

        Thank you, Colin. I will look for more info on Jane Williams and her two free children, to start.
        Carolyn -----Original Message-----

        --
        Carolyn C. Williams

        Hi Carolyn

        I am looking for a Frederick Tobias who was a freed slave that came to South Africa after slaves were set free one Christmas day.

        Were there any Paulsens and Knights on St Helena?

        Will really appreciate if you could help

        Shaun Paulsen

      • foxhome
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 21, 2010

          Ian, Can offer you this

          No

          Name of Proprietior

          Name of Slave

          Age

          Description

          Value £

          Remarks

          50

          Rev R Boys

          Charles Wade

          26

          A useful servant generally Carter and a good groom. Has paid for himself lately £13/year. Now on his own hands a healthy young man

          75

          Mr Boys states to the committee that he wishes it to be noted that he does not expect any compensation from the Honble Compy on the emancipation of these slaves although he wishes to defer their boa fide freedom for the present.

          201

          Mr Blake (and continued at no 408

          William Wade

          19

          A farm labourer character pretty fair

          65

          205

          Mr Blake (and continued at no 412

          Thomas Wade

          16

          Takes milk to market and employed in the house character indifferent has been a runaway

          50

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 21, 2010
            Thank you so much, Colin!

            Where did you get this slave list from?

            All the very best
            IAN

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 21, 2010

              It is in the British library and is part of the India Office Records under shelfmark F/4/1264

              I am in the process of transcribing the whole record

              Regards

              Colin

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 21, 2010
                  Hi Colin

                  I am looking for 4 Tobias brothers who when freed as slaves emigrated to South Africa. Two of their names are Frederick, Samuel.
                  I am also looking my Grandfather surnamed Dobson who married a "Rock Rabbit" as the women of St Helena were called.

                  Kind regards

                  Shaun Paulsen

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 23, 2010

                    Hi Shaun, sorry no Tobias’s on my list of slaves

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 23, 2010

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 23, 2010
                        Hi Shaun:

                        Perhaps he changed his name after he was free. Or if he was already freed, he would not be on the 1827 list.

                        Carolyn

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 26, 2010
                          The deputy Minister of Justice is looking for his ancestors, the surnames" Ruhrmund" and" Honmar"...I believe that Honmar is of British descent...any names like that? I would appreciate it so much if there are any . Thanks Colin.
                          We are also busy with the combination of all slave records in south Africa, and will link the same to digital images taken in South Africa...

                          Isebelle E.Krauss*Lloyd
                          27 954 6666 h
                          082 851 5648 mobile
                           011 645 1606 office

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 27, 2010

                            Isebelle, Sorry, there are no names on the listing similar to Honmar. I am only looking at slaves in St Helena in 1827 – did his family come from the island?

                            Interested to hear of your digitising program. Will this information be available online?

                            Regards

                            Colin