RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Researching Henry Williams

  • lester palmer
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 20 10:34 PM
      hi, every one seems to get information about their ancestors,can any one please help me trace mine. My ggrandfather were born on st helena island in 1898,his name was andrew simon graham and he married my ggrandmother maud alice richards born 1899,29 january, they moved to south africa in abt 1920s...any info would be appreciated

    • Ian Morris
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 21 12:27 AM
        Hi Colin

        I noticed this e-mail that you sent Carolyn. Where can one get hold of this list of slaves?? Could you please check the surname Wade if you can?

        Many thanks
        IAN

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 21 3:53 AM

          Thank you, Colin. I will look for more info on Jane Williams and her two free children, to start.
          Carolyn -----Original Message-----

[...]

          Hi Carolyn

          I am looking for a Frederick Tobias who was a freed slave that came to South Africa after slaves were set free one Christmas day.

          Were there any Paulsens and Knights on St Helena?

          Will really appreciate if you could help

          Shaun Paulsen

        • foxhome
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 21 4:19 AM

            Ian, Can offer you this

            No

            Name of Proprietior

            Name of Slave

            Age

            Description

            Value £

            Remarks

            50

            Rev R Boys

            Charles Wade

            26

            A useful servant generally Carter and a good groom. Has paid for himself lately £13/year. Now on his own hands a healthy young man

            75

            Mr Boys states to the committee that he wishes it to be noted that he does not expect any compensation from the Honble Compy on the emancipation of these slaves although he wishes to defer their boa fide freedom for the present.

            201

            Mr Blake (and continued at no 408

            William Wade

            19

            A farm labourer character pretty fair

            65

            205

            Mr Blake (and continued at no 412

            Thomas Wade

            16

            Takes milk to market and employed in the house character indifferent has been a runaway

            50

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 21 4:38 AM
              Thank you so much, Colin!

              Where did you get this slave list from?

              All the very best
              IAN

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 21 4:42 AM

                It is in the British library and is part of the India Office Records under shelfmark F/4/1264

                I am in the process of transcribing the whole record

                Regards

                Colin

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 21 10:29 PM
                    Hi Colin

                    I am looking for 4 Tobias brothers who when freed as slaves emigrated to South Africa. Two of their names are Frederick, Samuel.
                    I am also looking my Grandfather surnamed Dobson who married a "Rock Rabbit" as the women of St Helena were called.

                    Kind regards

                    Shaun Paulsen

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 23 2:52 AM

                      Hi Shaun, sorry no Tobias’s on my list of slaves

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 23 3:56 AM

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 23 4:08 AM
                          Hi Shaun:

                          Perhaps he changed his name after he was free. Or if he was already freed, he would not be on the 1827 list.

                          Carolyn

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 26 10:21 PM
                            The deputy Minister of Justice is looking for his ancestors, the surnames" Ruhrmund" and" Honmar"...I believe that Honmar is of British descent...any names like that? I would appreciate it so much if there are any . Thanks Colin.
                            We are also busy with the combination of all slave records in south Africa, and will link the same to digital images taken in South Africa...

                            Isebelle E.Krauss*Lloyd
                            27 954 6666 h
                            082 851 5648 mobile
                             011 645 1606 office

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 27 2:21 AM

                              Isebelle, Sorry, there are no names on the listing similar to Honmar. I am only looking at slaves in St Helena in 1827 – did his family come from the island?

                              Interested to hear of your digitising program. Will this information be available online?

                              Regards

                              Colin