RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Researching Henry Williams

  • carolyncw50@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 20, 2010
      Thank you, Colin. I will look for more info on Jane Williams and her two free children, to start.
      Carolyn -----Original Message-----
      Date: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 7:16:29 am
      To: <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com>
      From: "foxhome" <colin@...>
      Subject: RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Researching Henry Williams

      Carolyn, can offer you this from the 1827 list of slaves with surname William or Williams

      No

      Name of Proprietior

      Name of Slave

      Age

      Description

      Value £

      188

      Mr John Burnham

      James Williams

      38

      A farm labourer carried wood to town daily his master allows him one day to himself by which he wholly maintains himself without any expense to his master

      85

      237

      Estate of R Hayes deceased

      Eddy Williams

      19

      A labourer impediment in his speech bad character

      265

      Mr J De Fountain and cont at No 273

      William Williams

      18

      Farm Labourer strong and healthy

      80

      274

      Mr De Foutain cont from No 268

      James Williams

      15

      A farm boy, character pretty fair reformed from being a runaway

      35

      387

      Mr Alfred Isaacke

      Flora Williams

      19

      Washerwoman and house servant tolerable character

      30

      412

      John Roakes estate

      Jane Williams

      30

      A good washerwoman has 2 free children hires herself out for £5 per year a respectable married woman

      25

      416

      Mr Prince

      Sarah Williams

      42

      A nurse and house servant let out no encumbrance unmarried

      30

      463

      Mr E Kay

      Sarah Williams

      16

      Useful servant a good market woman

      35

      537

      Major Seale

      George Williams

      40

      Market hand and labourer goes to town daily very good character [Cohabits with Sophia Odein slave to Mrs David Kay  aka Mrs E Kay

      90

      558

      Mr S Pritchard

      William Williams

      20

      Generally useful servant can cook groom etc

      95

      609

      Captain Torbett

      Kitty Williams

      19

      Washerwoman

      25

      668

      W & J Burnie of London

      Richard William

      24

      A good carter has been a garden labourer a good willing and generally useful servant healthy

      105

      669

      W & J Burnie of London

      John William

      22

      A clever house and personal servant waits well at table very trustworthy and generally useful

      105

      801

      Mr William Henry Seale

      Lucy William

      16

      Nurse and house servant not well disposed

      20

      Regards

      Colin

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 20, 2010
        hi, every one seems to get information about their ancestors,can any one please help me trace mine. My ggrandfather were born on st helena island in 1898,his name was andrew simon graham and he married my ggrandmother maud alice richards born 1899,29 january, they moved to south africa in abt 1920s...any info would be appreciated

      • Ian Morris
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 21, 2010
          Hi Colin

          I noticed this e-mail that you sent Carolyn. Where can one get hold of this list of slaves?? Could you please check the surname Wade if you can?

          Many thanks
          IAN

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 21, 2010

[...]

            Hi Carolyn

            I am looking for a Frederick Tobias who was a freed slave that came to South Africa after slaves were set free one Christmas day.

            Were there any Paulsens and Knights on St Helena?

            Will really appreciate if you could help

            Shaun Paulsen

          • foxhome
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 21, 2010

              Ian, Can offer you this

              No

              Name of Proprietior

              Name of Slave

              Age

              Description

              Value £

              Remarks

              50

              Rev R Boys

              Charles Wade

              26

              A useful servant generally Carter and a good groom. Has paid for himself lately £13/year. Now on his own hands a healthy young man

              75

              Mr Boys states to the committee that he wishes it to be noted that he does not expect any compensation from the Honble Compy on the emancipation of these slaves although he wishes to defer their boa fide freedom for the present.

              201

              Mr Blake (and continued at no 408

              William Wade

              19

              A farm labourer character pretty fair

              65

              205

              Mr Blake (and continued at no 412

              Thomas Wade

              16

              Takes milk to market and employed in the house character indifferent has been a runaway

              50

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 21, 2010
                Thank you so much, Colin!

                Where did you get this slave list from?

                All the very best
                IAN

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 21, 2010

                  It is in the British library and is part of the India Office Records under shelfmark F/4/1264

                  I am in the process of transcribing the whole record

                  Regards

                  Colin

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 21, 2010
                      Hi Colin

                      I am looking for 4 Tobias brothers who when freed as slaves emigrated to South Africa. Two of their names are Frederick, Samuel.
                      I am also looking my Grandfather surnamed Dobson who married a "Rock Rabbit" as the women of St Helena were called.

                      Kind regards

                      Shaun Paulsen

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 23, 2010

                        Hi Shaun, sorry no Tobias’s on my list of slaves

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 23, 2010

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 23, 2010
                            Hi Shaun:

                            Perhaps he changed his name after he was free. Or if he was already freed, he would not be on the 1827 list.

                            Carolyn

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 26, 2010
                              The deputy Minister of Justice is looking for his ancestors, the surnames" Ruhrmund" and" Honmar"...I believe that Honmar is of British descent...any names like that? I would appreciate it so much if there are any . Thanks Colin.
                              We are also busy with the combination of all slave records in south Africa, and will link the same to digital images taken in South Africa...

                              Isebelle E.Krauss*Lloyd
                              27 954 6666 h
                              082 851 5648 mobile
                               011 645 1606 office

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 27, 2010

                                Isebelle, Sorry, there are no names on the listing similar to Honmar. I am only looking at slaves in St Helena in 1827 – did his family come from the island?

                                Interested to hear of your digitising program. Will this information be available online?

                                Regards

                                Colin