Researching Henry Williams

  • Carolyn Williams
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 20, 2010
      I am seeking information on people with the Williams surname who lived in St. Helena before 1850. I have not yet searched the LDS records.

      I am researching my great-grandfather, Henry Williams, who was born on St. Helena circa 1823 and was of Asian (Madagascan or Indian, etc.) or mixed African and Asian descent. By 1850 Henry lived in Newport, Rhode Island and was married to an Afro-Canadian, Fanny Peters Williams, who was born in Nova Scotia. They had one son, Charles Albert Williams who was born in 1849. Henry died at sea before 1860 (with an unidentified male relative, according to our family history). U.S. census records from 1850 to 1920 confirm St. Helena as Henry's birthplace, since Charles Albert had to give the places of birth for his parents.

      During the mid 1860s, Fanny and Charles Albert moved to Philadelphia. In 1870 Charles married Caroline Louise Harvey who was from a prominent African-American family, and they settled back in Newport, Rhode Island, with his mother. Eight of their ten children lived to adulthood and most moved from Rhode Island to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. About half of their present-day descendants live in New Jersey, while others are spread throughout the U.S.

      --
      Carolyn C. Williams
    • foxhome
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 20, 2010

        Carolyn, can offer you this from the 1827 list of slaves with surname William or Williams

        No

        Name of Proprietior

        Name of Slave

        Age

        Description

        Value £

        188

        Mr John Burnham

        James Williams

        38

        A farm labourer carried wood to town daily his master allows him one day to himself by which he wholly maintains himself without any expense to his master

        85

        237

        Estate of R Hayes deceased

        Eddy Williams

        19

        A labourer impediment in his speech bad character

        265

        Mr J De Fountain and cont at No 273

        William Williams

        18

        Farm Labourer strong and healthy

        80

        274

        Mr De Foutain cont from No 268

        James Williams

        15

        A farm boy, character pretty fair reformed from being a runaway

        35

        387

        Mr Alfred Isaacke

        Flora Williams

        19

        Washerwoman and house servant tolerable character

        30

        412

        John Roake’s estate

        Jane Williams

        30

        A good washerwoman has 2 free children hires herself out for £5 per year  a respectable married woman

        25

        416

        Mr Prince

        Sarah Williams

        42

        A nurse and house servant let out no encumbrance unmarried

        30

        463

        Mr E Kay

        Sarah Williams

        16

        Useful servant a good market woman

        35

        537

        Major Seale

        George Williams

        40

        Market hand and labourer goes to town daily very good character [Cohabits with Sophia Odein slave to Mrs David Kay – aka Mrs E Kay

        90

        558

        Mr S Pritchard

        William Williams

        20

        Generally useful servant can cook groom etc

        95

        609

        Captain Torbett

        Kitty Williams

        19

        Washerwoman

        25

        668

        W & J Burnie of London

        Richard William

        24

        A good carter has been a garden labourer a good willing and generally useful servant healthy

        105

        669

        W & J Burnie of London

        John William

        22

        A clever house and personal servant waits well at table very trustworthy and generally  useful

        105

        801

        Mr William Henry Seale

        Lucy William

        16

        Nurse and house servant not well disposed

        20

        Regards

        Colin

      • carolyncw50@gmail.com

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 20, 2010
            hi, every one seems to get information about their ancestors,can any one please help me trace mine. My ggrandfather were born on st helena island in 1898,his name was andrew simon graham and he married my ggrandmother maud alice richards born 1899,29 january, they moved to south africa in abt 1920s...any info would be appreciated

          • Ian Morris
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 21, 2010
              Hi Colin

              I noticed this e-mail that you sent Carolyn. Where can one get hold of this list of slaves?? Could you please check the surname Wade if you can?

              Many thanks
              IAN

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 21, 2010

[...]

                Hi Carolyn

                I am looking for a Frederick Tobias who was a freed slave that came to South Africa after slaves were set free one Christmas day.

                Were there any Paulsens and Knights on St Helena?

                Will really appreciate if you could help

                Shaun Paulsen

              • foxhome
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 21, 2010

                  Ian, Can offer you this

                  No

                  Name of Proprietior

                  Name of Slave

                  Age

                  Description

                  Value £

                  Remarks

                  50

                  Rev R Boys

                  Charles Wade

                  26

                  A useful servant generally Carter and a good groom. Has paid for himself lately £13/year. Now on his own hands a healthy young man

                  75

                  Mr Boys states to the committee that he wishes it to be noted that he does not expect any compensation from the Honble Compy on the emancipation of these slaves although he wishes to defer their boa fide freedom for the present.

                  201

                  Mr Blake (and continued at no 408

                  William Wade

                  19

                  A farm labourer character pretty fair

                  65

                  205

                  Mr Blake (and continued at no 412

                  Thomas Wade

                  16

                  Takes milk to market and employed in the house character indifferent has been a runaway

                  50

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 21, 2010
                    Thank you so much, Colin!

                    Where did you get this slave list from?

                    All the very best
                    IAN

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 21, 2010

                      It is in the British library and is part of the India Office Records under shelfmark F/4/1264

                      I am in the process of transcribing the whole record

                      Regards

                      Colin

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 21, 2010
                          Hi Colin

                          I am looking for 4 Tobias brothers who when freed as slaves emigrated to South Africa. Two of their names are Frederick, Samuel.
                          I am also looking my Grandfather surnamed Dobson who married a "Rock Rabbit" as the women of St Helena were called.

                          Kind regards

                          Shaun Paulsen

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 23, 2010

                            Hi Shaun, sorry no Tobias’s on my list of slaves

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 23, 2010

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 23, 2010
                                Hi Shaun:

                                Perhaps he changed his name after he was free. Or if he was already freed, he would not be on the 1827 list.

                                Carolyn

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 26, 2010
                                  The deputy Minister of Justice is looking for his ancestors, the surnames" Ruhrmund" and" Honmar"...I believe that Honmar is of British descent...any names like that? I would appreciate it so much if there are any . Thanks Colin.
                                  We are also busy with the combination of all slave records in south Africa, and will link the same to digital images taken in South Africa...

                                  Isebelle E.Krauss*Lloyd
                                  27 954 6666 h
                                  082 851 5648 mobile
                                   011 645 1606 office

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 27, 2010

                                    Isebelle, Sorry, there are no names on the listing similar to Honmar. I am only looking at slaves in St Helena in 1827 – did his family come from the island?

                                    Interested to hear of your digitising program. Will this information be available online?

                                    Regards

                                    Colin