RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Charles Contest

  • Shirley Morgan
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 20, 2010
      I am researching my g grandfather Alexander Frederick Charles Contest
      (or Charles Contest) who was born approx 1845 on St Helena.

      Further information H P Thompson / Peter Pierie were Baptism Sponsors 4 June 1854

      Shirley

      To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      From: shirleymorgan967@...
      Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 01:02:19 +0000
      Subject: RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Charles Contest

      Hi All

      I am researching my g grandfather Alexander Frederick Charles Contest
      (or Charles Contest) who was born approx 1845 on St Helena and who I
      assume was a free slave. I know that he was christened on the island but
      not anything else.

      He was obviously educated as I have papers with his most beautiful hand
      writing and he insisted that his children received an education and that
      he paid for it which was highly unusual for a black family in country
      Australia. He was also well know for his healing powers.

      I would like to know any details of his life on the island and also how
      so many of our ancestors ended up in Australia.

      Many thanks in advance

      Shirley Morgan

      Shirley

      Find it on Domain.com.au Need a new place to live?

      Australia's #1 job site If It Exists, You'll Find it on SEEK