RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Charles Contest

  • Shirley Morgan
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 17, 2010

      Hi All

      I am researching my g grandfather Alexander Frederick Charles Contest
      (or Charles Contest) who was born approx 1845 on St Helena and who I
      assume was a free slave. I know that he was christened on the island but
      not anything else.

      He was obviously educated as I have papers with his most beautiful hand
      writing and he insisted that his children received an education and that
      he paid for it which was highly unusual for a black family in country
      Australia. He was also well know for his healing powers.

      I would like to know any details of his life on the island and also how
      so many of our ancestors ended up in Australia.

      Many thanks in advance

      Shirley Morgan

      Shirley

      Find it on Domain.com.au Need a new place to live?
    • Nancy-Jo Nunez
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 18, 2010
        Thanks so much John, appreciate that.  Perhaps his parents were on there as slaves.

        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 19, 2010
          Definitely would be worth a look.  Sounds like it contains some good information.

          Thanks so much John, appreciate that.  Perhaps his parents were on there as slaves.

          It is only available from the British Library - case of having to go there and viewing the original.  This is the document:

          of the slaves each year, etc. (includes list of slaves for 1827/28 giving slave's name, name of owner, age, monetary value, and brief personal description, pp 178-269, 332-471). [British Library Collections, India Office Records]
          These documents are held at: British Library, Asia, Pacific and Africa Collections

          Saw your posting on the document, how does one get that?  Is it available through Library Loan anywhere?  Thanks for replying.

          > Researching Gardner & Caesar families. Samuel Gardner was in St Helena from about 1850 to early 1860s, as a soldier according to his marriage cert to Louisa Timms, widow. He had several children there. Louisa Timms's maiden name was probably Caesar, in which case she was probably the daughter of Samuel & Margaret, slaves.
          >
          > Would like any confirmed details of Louisa's marriage to Timms, birth details of the 6 Gardner children plus anything else about Louisa's origins.

          Paul,

          Just saw your post. There are a few descendants of the Gardners who post on this site. I'm a great-great grandson of Thomas Henry Gardner who was born to Samuel Gardner and Louisa in 1857. I only discovered the depth of my family's St Helena roots earlier this year, and have been greatly helped in my research by other members of the group, espcaially Jan.

          If you look in the photo section you will see a copy of Samuel Gardner and Louisa Tim's (nee Caesar) marriage certificate, plus a copy of Samuel Casar's (the spelling changes!)emancipati on paper from 1831. Samuel Casar was Louisa's father.

          I've written up most of what I know about the Gardners and Caesars on the island up to 1865 when Samuel Gardner returned home to the UK with Louisa and his six children (three more children were born in London). This information is in a Word document and is difficult to post here but happy to send to you - or anyone else - if you can provide a full email address.

          You know, there are photos of Thomas Henry Gardner and some of his siblings, too.

          Very best regards,

          John Gardiner

        • Arabella George
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 19, 2010
            Hi Nancy-Jo
            I'm a George as well and looking into that side of our family. I have sent you an email direct, not sure whether you received it or not.

            Regards

            Bella George

            Sent from my iPhone

            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 20, 2010
              I am researching my g grandfather Alexander Frederick Charles Contest
              (or Charles Contest) who was born approx 1845 on St Helena.

              Further information H P Thompson / Peter Pierie were Baptism Sponsors 4 June 1854

              Shirley

              To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
              From: shirleymorgan967@...
              Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 01:02:19 +0000
              Subject: RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Charles Contest

              Hi All

              I am researching my g grandfather Alexander Frederick Charles Contest
              (or Charles Contest) who was born approx 1845 on St Helena and who I
              assume was a free slave. I know that he was christened on the island but
              not anything else.

              He was obviously educated as I have papers with his most beautiful hand
              writing and he insisted that his children received an education and that
              he paid for it which was highly unusual for a black family in country
              Australia. He was also well know for his healing powers.

              I would like to know any details of his life on the island and also how
              so many of our ancestors ended up in Australia.

              Many thanks in advance

              Shirley Morgan

              Shirley

              Find it on Domain.com.au Need a new place to live?

              Australia's #1 job site If It Exists, You'll Find it on SEEK