Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Gardner, Timms & Caesar

  • Nancy-Jo Nunez
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 16, 2010
      Can someone do a lookup for me on this document everyone is speaking of?  The surname is George.  Thank you.

      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 17, 2010
        Hi, Nancy-Jo.

        It is only available from the British Library - case of having to go there and viewing the original.  This is the document:

        of the slaves each year, etc. (includes list of slaves for 1827/28 giving slave's name, name of owner, age, monetary value, and brief personal description, pp 178-269, 332-471). [British Library Collections, India Office Records]
        These documents are held at: British Library, Asia, Pacific and Africa Collections

        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 17, 2010

          Nancy-Jo, There are 41 slaves with surname George in F/4/1264. In a separate part of the document there is more biographical information about some slaves which I am currently working on but probably won’t finish until the end of the year. Anyone want to help!

          Colin

          No

          Name of Proprietior

          Name of Slave

          Age

          Description

          Value £

          Remarks

          65

          Capt Broadway

          Jacob George

          43

          Employed fetching wood and for other house purposes. Is a painter and mason of good character

          65

          179

          Mr Darling

          James George

          9

          A house boy

          25

          180

          Mr Darling

          Peggy George

          22

          House servant and washerwoman has 2 young free children married

          30

          181

          Mr Darling

          John George

          20

          A good cook and very useful servant

          90

          183

          Mr Darling

          Jacob George

          17

          A good waiting servant

          70

          208

          Mr Dring

          Sarah George

          22

          Wash and needlewoman an incorrigible drunkard subject to fits in consequence

          Not valued No 5

          246

          Mr Janisch

          Louisa George

          11

          Useful little girl

          20

          273

          Mr De Foutain cont from No 268

          May George

          33

          A complete stockman, hires himself for £10/year earns 9/- a week and gets rations allowed him besides, healthy good character

          105

          277

          Mrs Harper and cont at No 361

          John George

          37

          First rate ploughman mower stockman and carter of good character

          105

          279

          Mrs Harper and cont at No 361

          Frances George

          10

          Useful farm boy

          30

          281

          Mrs Harper and cont at No 361

          Nanny George

          36

          Washerwoman and house servant has 5 free children youngest 2 years old married

          20

          378

          Mr Mulhall

          Lucy George

          28

          Wash and needlewoman a very good servant has 3 free children youngest 13 months unmarried

          30

          379

          Mr Mulhall

          Mary George (dau of Lucy)

          13

          A very useful house girl

          30

          428

          Major D K Pritchard

          Charles George

          34

          A generally useful servant cook and labourer  healthy and of very good character

          105

          429

          Mr H T Seale

          Jane George

          43

          Washes for the family has 1 free child and 6 slave children unmarried

          30

          433

          Dr Lorimer

          Martha George

          16

          Useful house servant good character

          30

          483

          Miss Mason

          Susan George

          24

          Washerwoman and attends the poultry has 3 free children  youngest 9 months married

          20

          498

          Mr B Solomon

          Benj George

          10

          Useful houseboy

          35

          501

          Mr S Solomon

          Dolly George

          17

          Needlewoman and nurse

          25

          519

          Mr William Seale jun.

          Nancy George

          26

          Washes and cooks for the family has 5 free children

          25

          525

          Major Seale

          Sally George

          22

          Wash and needlewoman. No children healthy good servant

          40

          534

          Major Seale

          Ruth George

          18

          A good house servant

          30

          535

          Major Seale

          Martha George

          13

          A good house servant

          25

          541

          Major Seale

          James George

          32

          Clever useful servant has turned King’s evidence

          Not valued No 11

          542

          Major Seale

          Benj George

          18

          Labourer and attended the stock has turned King’s evidence

          Not valued no 12

          543

          Major Seale

          Harry George

          21

          A very good servant , mower, groom gardener etc

          110

          544

          Major Seale

          Cornelius George

          13

        • Shirley Morgan
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 17, 2010

            Hi All

            I am researching my g grandfather Alexander Frederick Charles Contest
            (or Charles Contest) who was born approx 1845 on St Helena and who I
            assume was a free slave. I know that he was christened on the island but
            not anything else.

            He was obviously educated as I have papers with his most beautiful hand
            writing and he insisted that his children received an education and that
            he paid for it which was highly unusual for a black family in country
            Australia. He was also well know for his healing powers.

            I would like to know any details of his life on the island and also how
            so many of our ancestors ended up in Australia.

            Many thanks in advance

            Shirley Morgan

            Shirley

            Find it on Domain.com.au Need a new place to live?
          • Nancy-Jo Nunez
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 18, 2010
              Thanks so much John, appreciate that.  Perhaps his parents were on there as slaves.

              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 19, 2010
                Definitely would be worth a look.  Sounds like it contains some good information.

                Thanks so much John, appreciate that.  Perhaps his parents were on there as slaves.

                It is only available from the British Library - case of having to go there and viewing the original.  This is the document:

                of the slaves each year, etc. (includes list of slaves for 1827/28 giving slave's name, name of owner, age, monetary value, and brief personal description, pp 178-269, 332-471). [British Library Collections, India Office Records]
                These documents are held at: British Library, Asia, Pacific and Africa Collections

                Saw your posting on the document, how does one get that?  Is it available through Library Loan anywhere?  Thanks for replying.

                > Researching Gardner & Caesar families. Samuel Gardner was in St Helena from about 1850 to early 1860s, as a soldier according to his marriage cert to Louisa Timms, widow. He had several children there. Louisa Timms's maiden name was probably Caesar, in which case she was probably the daughter of Samuel & Margaret, slaves.
                >
                > Would like any confirmed details of Louisa's marriage to Timms, birth details of the 6 Gardner children plus anything else about Louisa's origins.

                Paul,

                Just saw your post. There are a few descendants of the Gardners who post on this site. I'm a great-great grandson of Thomas Henry Gardner who was born to Samuel Gardner and Louisa in 1857. I only discovered the depth of my family's St Helena roots earlier this year, and have been greatly helped in my research by other members of the group, espcaially Jan.

                If you look in the photo section you will see a copy of Samuel Gardner and Louisa Tim's (nee Caesar) marriage certificate, plus a copy of Samuel Casar's (the spelling changes!)emancipati on paper from 1831. Samuel Casar was Louisa's father.

                I've written up most of what I know about the Gardners and Caesars on the island up to 1865 when Samuel Gardner returned home to the UK with Louisa and his six children (three more children were born in London). This information is in a Word document and is difficult to post here but happy to send to you - or anyone else - if you can provide a full email address.

                You know, there are photos of Thomas Henry Gardner and some of his siblings, too.

                Very best regards,

                John Gardiner

              • Arabella George
                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 19, 2010
                  Hi Nancy-Jo
                  I'm a George as well and looking into that side of our family. I have sent you an email direct, not sure whether you received it or not.

                  Regards

                  Bella George

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 20, 2010
                    I am researching my g grandfather Alexander Frederick Charles Contest
                    (or Charles Contest) who was born approx 1845 on St Helena.

                    Further information H P Thompson / Peter Pierie were Baptism Sponsors 4 June 1854

                    Shirley

                    To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                    From: shirleymorgan967@...
                    Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 01:02:19 +0000
                    Subject: RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Charles Contest

                    Hi All

                    I am researching my g grandfather Alexander Frederick Charles Contest
                    (or Charles Contest) who was born approx 1845 on St Helena and who I
                    assume was a free slave. I know that he was christened on the island but
                    not anything else.

                    He was obviously educated as I have papers with his most beautiful hand
                    writing and he insisted that his children received an education and that
                    he paid for it which was highly unusual for a black family in country
                    Australia. He was also well know for his healing powers.

                    I would like to know any details of his life on the island and also how
                    so many of our ancestors ended up in Australia.

                    Many thanks in advance

                    Shirley Morgan

                    Shirley

                    Find it on Domain.com.au Need a new place to live?

                    Australia's #1 job site If It Exists, You'll Find it on SEEK