Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Gardner, Timms & Caesar

  • Nancy-Jo Nunez
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 16, 2010
      Good luck in your travels, how wonderful for you.

      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 16, 2010
        Hi John
        Saw your posting on the document, how does one get that?  Is it available through Library Loan anywhere?  Thanks for replying.

        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 16, 2010
          Can someone do a lookup for me on this document everyone is speaking of?  The surname is George.  Thank you.

          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 17, 2010
            Hi, Nancy-Jo.

            It is only available from the British Library - case of having to go there and viewing the original.  This is the document:

            of the slaves each year, etc. (includes list of slaves for 1827/28 giving slave's name, name of owner, age, monetary value, and brief personal description, pp 178-269, 332-471). [British Library Collections, India Office Records]
            These documents are held at: British Library, Asia, Pacific and Africa Collections

            Saw your posting on the document, how does one get that?  Is it available through Library Loan anywhere?  Thanks for replying.

            > Researching Gardner & Caesar families. Samuel Gardner was in St Helena from about 1850 to early 1860s, as a soldier according to his marriage cert to Louisa Timms, widow. He had several children there. Louisa Timms's maiden name was probably Caesar, in which case she was probably the daughter of Samuel & Margaret, slaves.
            >
            > Would like any confirmed details of Louisa's marriage to Timms, birth details of the 6 Gardner children plus anything else about Louisa's origins.

            Paul,

            Just saw your post. There are a few descendants of the Gardners who post on this site. I'm a great-great grandson of Thomas Henry Gardner who was born to Samuel Gardner and Louisa in 1857. I only discovered the depth of my family's St Helena roots earlier this year, and have been greatly helped in my research by other members of the group, espcaially Jan.

            If you look in the photo section you will see a copy of Samuel Gardner and Louisa Tim's (nee Caesar) marriage certificate, plus a copy of Samuel Casar's (the spelling changes!)emancipati on paper from 1831. Samuel Casar was Louisa's father.

            I've written up most of what I know about the Gardners and Caesars on the island up to 1865 when Samuel Gardner returned home to the UK with Louisa and his six children (three more children were born in London). This information is in a Word document and is difficult to post here but happy to send to you - or anyone else - if you can provide a full email address.

            You know, there are photos of Thomas Henry Gardner and some of his siblings, too.

            Very best regards,

            John Gardiner

          • foxhome
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 17, 2010

              Nancy-Jo, There are 41 slaves with surname George in F/4/1264. In a separate part of the document there is more biographical information about some slaves which I am currently working on but probably won’t finish until the end of the year. Anyone want to help!

              Colin

              No

              Name of Proprietior

              Name of Slave

              Age

              Description

              Value £

              Remarks

              65

              Capt Broadway

              Jacob George

              43

              Employed fetching wood and for other house purposes. Is a painter and mason of good character

              65

              179

              Mr Darling

              James George

              9

              A house boy

              25

              180

              Mr Darling

              Peggy George

              22

              House servant and washerwoman has 2 young free children married

              30

              181

              Mr Darling

              John George

              20

              A good cook and very useful servant

              90

              183

              Mr Darling

              Jacob George

              17

              A good waiting servant

              70

              208

              Mr Dring

              Sarah George

              22

              Wash and needlewoman an incorrigible drunkard subject to fits in consequence

              Not valued No 5

              246

              Mr Janisch

              Louisa George

              11

              Useful little girl

              20

              273

              Mr De Foutain cont from No 268

              May George

              33

              A complete stockman, hires himself for £10/year earns 9/- a week and gets rations allowed him besides, healthy good character

              105

              277

              Mrs Harper and cont at No 361

              John George

              37

              First rate ploughman mower stockman and carter of good character

              105

              279

              Mrs Harper and cont at No 361

              Frances George

              10

              Useful farm boy

              30

              281

              Mrs Harper and cont at No 361

              Nanny George

              36

              Washerwoman and house servant has 5 free children youngest 2 years old married

              20

              378

              Mr Mulhall

              Lucy George

              28

              Wash and needlewoman a very good servant has 3 free children youngest 13 months unmarried

              30

              379

              Mr Mulhall

              Mary George (dau of Lucy)

              13

              A very useful house girl

              30

              428

              Major D K Pritchard

              Charles George

              34

              A generally useful servant cook and labourer  healthy and of very good character

              105

              429

              Mr H T Seale

              Jane George

              43

              Washes for the family has 1 free child and 6 slave children unmarried

              30

              433

              Dr Lorimer

              Martha George

              16

              Useful house servant good character

              30

              483

              Miss Mason

              Susan George

              24

              Washerwoman and attends the poultry has 3 free children  youngest 9 months married

              20

              498

              Mr B Solomon

              Benj George

              10

              Useful houseboy

              35

              501

              Mr S Solomon

              Dolly George

              17

              Needlewoman and nurse

              25

              519

              Mr William Seale jun.

              Nancy George

              26

              Washes and cooks for the family has 5 free children

              25

              525

              Major Seale

              Sally George

              22

              Wash and needlewoman. No children healthy good servant

              40

              534

              Major Seale

              Ruth George

              18

              A good house servant

              30

              535

              Major Seale

              Martha George

              13

              A good house servant

              25

              541

              Major Seale

              James George

              32

              Clever useful servant has turned King’s evidence

              Not valued No 11

              542

              Major Seale

              Benj George

              18

              Labourer and attended the stock has turned King’s evidence

              Not valued no 12

              543

              Major Seale

              Harry George

              21

              A very good servant , mower, groom gardener etc

              110

              544

              Major Seale

              Cornelius George

              13

            • Shirley Morgan
              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 17, 2010

                Hi All

                I am researching my g grandfather Alexander Frederick Charles Contest
                (or Charles Contest) who was born approx 1845 on St Helena and who I
                assume was a free slave. I know that he was christened on the island but
                not anything else.

                He was obviously educated as I have papers with his most beautiful hand
                writing and he insisted that his children received an education and that
                he paid for it which was highly unusual for a black family in country
                Australia. He was also well know for his healing powers.

                I would like to know any details of his life on the island and also how
                so many of our ancestors ended up in Australia.

                Many thanks in advance

                Shirley Morgan

                Shirley

                Find it on Domain.com.au Need a new place to live?
              • Nancy-Jo Nunez
                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 18, 2010
                  Thanks so much John, appreciate that.  Perhaps his parents were on there as slaves.

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 19, 2010
                    Definitely would be worth a look.  Sounds like it contains some good information.

                    Thanks so much John, appreciate that.  Perhaps his parents were on there as slaves.

                    It is only available from the British Library - case of having to go there and viewing the original.  This is the document:

                    of the slaves each year, etc. (includes list of slaves for 1827/28 giving slave's name, name of owner, age, monetary value, and brief personal description, pp 178-269, 332-471). [British Library Collections, India Office Records]
                    These documents are held at: British Library, Asia, Pacific and Africa Collections

                    Saw your posting on the document, how does one get that?  Is it available through Library Loan anywhere?  Thanks for replying.

                    > Researching Gardner & Caesar families. Samuel Gardner was in St Helena from about 1850 to early 1860s, as a soldier according to his marriage cert to Louisa Timms, widow. He had several children there. Louisa Timms's maiden name was probably Caesar, in which case she was probably the daughter of Samuel & Margaret, slaves.
                    >
                    > Would like any confirmed details of Louisa's marriage to Timms, birth details of the 6 Gardner children plus anything else about Louisa's origins.

                    Paul,

                    Just saw your post. There are a few descendants of the Gardners who post on this site. I'm a great-great grandson of Thomas Henry Gardner who was born to Samuel Gardner and Louisa in 1857. I only discovered the depth of my family's St Helena roots earlier this year, and have been greatly helped in my research by other members of the group, espcaially Jan.

                    If you look in the photo section you will see a copy of Samuel Gardner and Louisa Tim's (nee Caesar) marriage certificate, plus a copy of Samuel Casar's (the spelling changes!)emancipati on paper from 1831. Samuel Casar was Louisa's father.

                    I've written up most of what I know about the Gardners and Caesars on the island up to 1865 when Samuel Gardner returned home to the UK with Louisa and his six children (three more children were born in London). This information is in a Word document and is difficult to post here but happy to send to you - or anyone else - if you can provide a full email address.

                    You know, there are photos of Thomas Henry Gardner and some of his siblings, too.

                    Very best regards,

                    John Gardiner

                  • Arabella George
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 19, 2010
                      Hi Nancy-Jo
                      I'm a George as well and looking into that side of our family. I have sent you an email direct, not sure whether you received it or not.

                      Regards

                      Bella George

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 20, 2010
                        I am researching my g grandfather Alexander Frederick Charles Contest
                        (or Charles Contest) who was born approx 1845 on St Helena.

                        Further information H P Thompson / Peter Pierie were Baptism Sponsors 4 June 1854

                        Shirley

                        To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                        From: shirleymorgan967@...
                        Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 01:02:19 +0000
                        Subject: RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Charles Contest

                        Hi All

                        I am researching my g grandfather Alexander Frederick Charles Contest
                        (or Charles Contest) who was born approx 1845 on St Helena and who I
                        assume was a free slave. I know that he was christened on the island but
                        not anything else.

                        He was obviously educated as I have papers with his most beautiful hand
                        writing and he insisted that his children received an education and that
                        he paid for it which was highly unusual for a black family in country
                        Australia. He was also well know for his healing powers.

                        I would like to know any details of his life on the island and also how
                        so many of our ancestors ended up in Australia.

                        Many thanks in advance

                        Shirley Morgan

                        Shirley

                        Find it on Domain.com.au Need a new place to live?

                        Australia's #1 job site If It Exists, You'll Find it on SEEK