Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Gardner, Timms & Caesar

  • John Gardiner
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 16, 2010
      Hello, Judith.

      I'm sorry, I've only been looking at the Caesars/Casars on the island.  I hope someone else in the group can help you.

      Keep perservering.  I'm sure more information will turn up.

      Very best regards,

      John

      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 16, 2010

        Go here for more info on the Honeybuns:

        http://www.genealogywise.com/profile/AlastairHoneybun.

        Jake

> [...]

        > Good mower, mason and fruit gardener of good character has received 1
        class
        > premium of 1825 lost the sight of one eye by an accident. Healthy
        >
        > [Wirebird No 38 The Caesars of St Helena:
        >
        > …can pay down £25 which himself and his wife have made by their own
        > industry, and wishes Government to advance him a loan of £65 which he will
        > repay by instalments and from 15 to 20 shillings per month. He is married
        > a woman (Margaret slave of Capt Seale) whose freedom he purchased for £10
        > and has 6 free children those who are of sufficient age attend Sandy Bay
        > Sunday School and he subscribes to the Benefit Society for the whole
        family.
        > He is a mower, mason and general farm servant bears and excellent
        character
        > and received a medal in 1824 for being honest, diligent, sober and

      • Nancy-Jo Nunez
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 16, 2010
          Good luck in your travels, how wonderful for you.

> [...]

          > Samuel Casar
          >
          > 39
          >
          > Good
          mower, mason and fruit gardener of good character has received 1 class
          > premium of 1825 lost the sight of one eye by an accident. Healthy
          >
          > [Wirebird No 38 The Caesars of St Helena:
          >
          > …can pay down £25 which himself and his wife have made by their own
          > industry, and wishes Government to advance him a loan of £65 which he will
          > repay by instalments and from 15 to 20 shillings per month. He is married to
          > a woman (Margaret slave of Capt Seale) whose freedom he purchased for £10
          > and has 6 free children those who are of sufficient age attend Sandy Bay
          > Sunday School and he subscribes to the Benefit Society for the whole family.
          > He is a mower, mason and general farm servant bears and excellent character
          > and received a medal in 1824 for being honest, diligent, sober and

        • Nancy-Jo Nunez
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 16, 2010
            Hi John
            Saw your posting on the document, how does one get that?  Is it available through Library Loan anywhere?  Thanks for replying.

            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 16, 2010
              Can someone do a lookup for me on this document everyone is speaking of?  The surname is George.  Thank you.

              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 17, 2010
                Hi, Nancy-Jo.

                It is only available from the British Library - case of having to go there and viewing the original.  This is the document:

                of the slaves each year, etc. (includes list of slaves for 1827/28 giving slave's name, name of owner, age, monetary value, and brief personal description, pp 178-269, 332-471). [British Library Collections, India Office Records]
                These documents are held at: British Library, Asia, Pacific and Africa Collections

                Saw your posting on the document, how does one get that?  Is it available through Library Loan anywhere?  Thanks for replying.

                > Researching Gardner & Caesar families. Samuel Gardner was in St Helena from about 1850 to early 1860s, as a soldier according to his marriage cert to Louisa Timms, widow. He had several children there. Louisa Timms's maiden name was probably Caesar, in which case she was probably the daughter of Samuel & Margaret, slaves.
                >
                > Would like any confirmed details of Louisa's marriage to Timms, birth details of the 6 Gardner children plus anything else about Louisa's origins.

                Paul,

                Just saw your post. There are a few descendants of the Gardners who post on this site. I'm a great-great grandson of Thomas Henry Gardner who was born to Samuel Gardner and Louisa in 1857. I only discovered the depth of my family's St Helena roots earlier this year, and have been greatly helped in my research by other members of the group, espcaially Jan.

                If you look in the photo section you will see a copy of Samuel Gardner and Louisa Tim's (nee Caesar) marriage certificate, plus a copy of Samuel Casar's (the spelling changes!)emancipati on paper from 1831. Samuel Casar was Louisa's father.

                I've written up most of what I know about the Gardners and Caesars on the island up to 1865 when Samuel Gardner returned home to the UK with Louisa and his six children (three more children were born in London). This information is in a Word document and is difficult to post here but happy to send to you - or anyone else - if you can provide a full email address.

                You know, there are photos of Thomas Henry Gardner and some of his siblings, too.

                Very best regards,

                John Gardiner

              • foxhome
                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 17, 2010

                  Nancy-Jo, There are 41 slaves with surname George in F/4/1264. In a separate part of the document there is more biographical information about some slaves which I am currently working on but probably won’t finish until the end of the year. Anyone want to help!

                  Colin

                  No

                  Name of Proprietior

                  Name of Slave

                  Age

                  Description

                  Value £

                  Remarks

                  65

                  Capt Broadway

                  Jacob George

                  43

                  Employed fetching wood and for other house purposes. Is a painter and mason of good character

                  65

                  179

                  Mr Darling

                  James George

                  9

                  A house boy

                  25

                  180

                  Mr Darling

                  Peggy George

                  22

                  House servant and washerwoman has 2 young free children married

                  30

                  181

                  Mr Darling

                  John George

                  20

                  A good cook and very useful servant

                  90

                  183

                  Mr Darling

                  Jacob George

                  17

                  A good waiting servant

                  70

                  208

                  Mr Dring

                  Sarah George

                  22

                  Wash and needlewoman an incorrigible drunkard subject to fits in consequence

                  Not valued No 5

                  246

                  Mr Janisch

                  Louisa George

                  11

                  Useful little girl

                  20

                  273

                  Mr De Foutain cont from No 268

                  May George

                  33

                  A complete stockman, hires himself for £10/year earns 9/- a week and gets rations allowed him besides, healthy good character

                  105

                  277

                  Mrs Harper and cont at No 361

                  John George

                  37

                  First rate ploughman mower stockman and carter of good character

                  105

                  279

                  Mrs Harper and cont at No 361

                  Frances George

                  10

                  Useful farm boy

                  30

                  281

                  Mrs Harper and cont at No 361

                  Nanny George

                  36

                  Washerwoman and house servant has 5 free children youngest 2 years old married

                  20

                  378

                  Mr Mulhall

                  Lucy George

                  28

                  Wash and needlewoman a very good servant has 3 free children youngest 13 months unmarried

                  30

                  379

                  Mr Mulhall

                  Mary George (dau of Lucy)

                  13

                  A very useful house girl

                  30

                  428

                  Major D K Pritchard

                  Charles George

                  34

                  A generally useful servant cook and labourer  healthy and of very good character

                  105

                  429

                  Mr H T Seale

                  Jane George

                  43

                  Washes for the family has 1 free child and 6 slave children unmarried

                  30

                  433

                  Dr Lorimer

                  Martha George

                  16

                  Useful house servant good character

                  30

                  483

                  Miss Mason

                  Susan George

                  24

                  Washerwoman and attends the poultry has 3 free children  youngest 9 months married

                  20

                  498

                  Mr B Solomon

                  Benj George

                  10

                  Useful houseboy

                  35

                  501

                  Mr S Solomon

                  Dolly George

                  17

                  Needlewoman and nurse

                  25

                  519

                  Mr William Seale jun.

                  Nancy George

                  26

                  Washes and cooks for the family has 5 free children

                  25

                  525

                  Major Seale

                  Sally George

                  22

                  Wash and needlewoman. No children healthy good servant

                  40

                  534

                  Major Seale

                  Ruth George

                  18

                  A good house servant

                  30

                  535

                  Major Seale

                  Martha George

                  13

                  A good house servant

                  25

                  541

                  Major Seale

                  James George

                  32

                  Clever useful servant has turned King’s evidence

                  Not valued No 11

                  542

                  Major Seale

                  Benj George

                  18

                  Labourer and attended the stock has turned King’s evidence

                  Not valued no 12

                  543

                  Major Seale

                  Harry George

                  21

                  A very good servant , mower, groom gardener etc

                  110

                  544

                  Major Seale

                  Cornelius George

                  13

                • Shirley Morgan
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 17, 2010

                    Hi All

                    I am researching my g grandfather Alexander Frederick Charles Contest
                    (or Charles Contest) who was born approx 1845 on St Helena and who I
                    assume was a free slave. I know that he was christened on the island but
                    not anything else.

                    He was obviously educated as I have papers with his most beautiful hand
                    writing and he insisted that his children received an education and that
                    he paid for it which was highly unusual for a black family in country
                    Australia. He was also well know for his healing powers.

                    I would like to know any details of his life on the island and also how
                    so many of our ancestors ended up in Australia.

                    Many thanks in advance

                    Shirley Morgan

                    Shirley

                    Find it on Domain.com.au Need a new place to live?
                  • Nancy-Jo Nunez
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 18, 2010
                      Thanks so much John, appreciate that.  Perhaps his parents were on there as slaves.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 19, 2010
                        Definitely would be worth a look.  Sounds like it contains some good information.

                        Thanks so much John, appreciate that.  Perhaps his parents were on there as slaves.

                        It is only available from the British Library - case of having to go there and viewing the original.  This is the document:

                        of the slaves each year, etc. (includes list of slaves for 1827/28 giving slave's name, name of owner, age, monetary value, and brief personal description, pp 178-269, 332-471). [British Library Collections, India Office Records]
                        These documents are held at: British Library, Asia, Pacific and Africa Collections

                        Saw your posting on the document, how does one get that?  Is it available through Library Loan anywhere?  Thanks for replying.

                        > Researching Gardner & Caesar families. Samuel Gardner was in St Helena from about 1850 to early 1860s, as a soldier according to his marriage cert to Louisa Timms, widow. He had several children there. Louisa Timms's maiden name was probably Caesar, in which case she was probably the daughter of Samuel & Margaret, slaves.
                        >
                        > Would like any confirmed details of Louisa's marriage to Timms, birth details of the 6 Gardner children plus anything else about Louisa's origins.

                        Paul,

                        Just saw your post. There are a few descendants of the Gardners who post on this site. I'm a great-great grandson of Thomas Henry Gardner who was born to Samuel Gardner and Louisa in 1857. I only discovered the depth of my family's St Helena roots earlier this year, and have been greatly helped in my research by other members of the group, espcaially Jan.

                        If you look in the photo section you will see a copy of Samuel Gardner and Louisa Tim's (nee Caesar) marriage certificate, plus a copy of Samuel Casar's (the spelling changes!)emancipati on paper from 1831. Samuel Casar was Louisa's father.

                        I've written up most of what I know about the Gardners and Caesars on the island up to 1865 when Samuel Gardner returned home to the UK with Louisa and his six children (three more children were born in London). This information is in a Word document and is difficult to post here but happy to send to you - or anyone else - if you can provide a full email address.

                        You know, there are photos of Thomas Henry Gardner and some of his siblings, too.

                        Very best regards,

                        John Gardiner

                      • Arabella George
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 19, 2010
                          Hi Nancy-Jo
                          I'm a George as well and looking into that side of our family. I have sent you an email direct, not sure whether you received it or not.

                          Regards

                          Bella George

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 20, 2010
                            I am researching my g grandfather Alexander Frederick Charles Contest
                            (or Charles Contest) who was born approx 1845 on St Helena.

                            Further information H P Thompson / Peter Pierie were Baptism Sponsors 4 June 1854

                            Shirley

                            To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                            From: shirleymorgan967@...
                            Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 01:02:19 +0000
                            Subject: RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Charles Contest

                            Hi All

                            I am researching my g grandfather Alexander Frederick Charles Contest
                            (or Charles Contest) who was born approx 1845 on St Helena and who I
                            assume was a free slave. I know that he was christened on the island but
                            not anything else.

                            He was obviously educated as I have papers with his most beautiful hand
                            writing and he insisted that his children received an education and that
                            he paid for it which was highly unusual for a black family in country
                            Australia. He was also well know for his healing powers.

                            I would like to know any details of his life on the island and also how
                            so many of our ancestors ended up in Australia.

                            Many thanks in advance

                            Shirley Morgan

                            Shirley

                            Find it on Domain.com.au Need a new place to live?

                            Australia's #1 job site If It Exists, You'll Find it on SEEK