RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Alexander Barclay 1800-1865 / Eliza Burch abt 1797-1832

  • foxhome
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 13, 2010

      Hi, I have recently been transcribing the names of slaves who were valued by a committee on the island in Sep1827 in preparation for manumission. I have your Eliza listed but no other Birch’s.

      No

      Name of Proprietior

      Name of Slave

      Age

      Description

      Value

      Remarks

      701

      Captain Shortis

      Eliza Birch

      34

      Washerwoman and house servant has 1 free child 6 years old a good faithful servant

      35

      Hope this is of interest

      Colin Fox

      http://www.thebennettletters.com/

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 14, 2010

          Carol, there are very few military personnel listed as slave owners and John Gordon’s name does not appear amongst them

          Regards

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 14, 2010
            Hi Colin,

            Many thanks.