Eric Douglas Moyce

  • Lisa Nichols
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3, 2010
      My dad, Eric Douglas Moyce, was from St Helena and, although I lost contact with him back in the 70's, I have always been interested in the Island.  So interested, that I am visiting St Helena next year.  On doing some research on the island on the internet, I came across this site and decided to send an e-mail just to see if it leads anywhere. I believe he left the island back in the 50's to come and work in the UK and I know he had a sister called Mary.  Not much to go on I know but you don't know if you don't try!

      Looking forward to hearing from anyone who may have any insight on this or is in a similar situation trying to track family members.

      Regards

      Lisa

    • sthelenagirl
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 12 2:48 PM
        Lisa
        Sorry, only just seen your email. Eric Moyce could have been my great-uncle; Mary (nee Moyce) was my grandmother, who left the island in the fifties too! So we could be related!

        I visited the island in 2008 for the first time - it was the most incredible experience, having listened to stories from family and friends all life .....

        Will have a chat with my Mum who may have some info on 'Uncle Eric'

        Regards
        Valerie

        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Nichols <nicholslisa60@...> wrote:

        > My dad, Eric Douglas Moyce, was from St Helena and, although I lost contact with him back in the 70's, I have always been interested in the Island.  So interested, that I am visiting St Helena next year.  On doing some research on the island on the internet, I came across this site and decided to send an e-mail just to see if it leads anywhere. I believe he left the island back in the 50's to come and work in the UK and I know he had a sister called Mary.  Not much to go on I know but you don't know if you don't try!
        >
        > Looking forward to hearing from anyone who may have any insight on this or is in a similar situation trying to track family members.
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Lisa

      • Lisa Nichols
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 13 4:36 AM
          Hi Valerie

          Nice to hear from you.  Was the Mary (nee Moyce) that you mentioned married to Percy and did they use to live in Edgeware some years ago?  Also, my sister Susan remembers meeting a Valerie but it would have been as a very young girl back in the 60's.

          If any of this is relevant to you, then yes, we could be related!

          I also visited the Island in February of this year and I have never been anywhere so beautiful and so friendly, it's an experience I will never forget.

          Look forward to hearing from you.

          Kind regards

          Lisa

          Sorry, only just seen your email. Eric Moyce could have been my great-uncle; Mary (nee Moyce) was my grandmother, who left the island in the fifties too! So we could be related!

          I visited the island in 2008 for the first time - it was the most incredible experience, having listened to stories from family and friends all life .....

          Will have a chat with my Mum who may have some info on 'Uncle Eric'

          Regards
          Valerie

          --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Nichols <nicholslisa60@...> wrote:

          > My dad, Eric Douglas Moyce, was from St Helena and, although I lost contact with him back in the 70's, I have always been interested in the Island.  So interested, that I am visiting St Helena next year.  On doing some research on the island on the internet, I came across this site and decided to send an e-mail just to see if it leads anywhere. I believe he left the island back in the 50's to come and work in the UK and I know he had a sister called Mary.  Not much to go on I know but you don't know if you don't try!
          >
          > Looking forward to hearing from anyone who may have any insight on this or is in a similar situation trying to track family members.
          >
          > Regards
          >
          > Lisa

        • Linda
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 14 3:06 PM
            Lisa,

            I read your message about your visiting St. Helena in February. What is the best way to travel to St. Helena? I understand that there is no airport. How do you get there from the US? Do you fly to South Africa (Capetown , Durban???) and then catch a boat to St. Helena? How often does the boat travel to St. Helena? I thought that I read something about it traveling there only four times a year.

            Linda

            Baltimore, Maryland USA

            --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Nichols <nicholslisa60@...> wrote:

            > Hi Valerie
            >
            > Nice to hear from you.  Was the Mary (nee Moyce) that you mentioned married to
            > Percy and did they use to live in Edgeware some years ago?  Also, my sister
            > Susan remembers meeting a Valerie but it would have been as a very young girl
            > back in the 60's.
            >
            > If any of this is relevant to you, then yes, we could be related!
            >
            > I also visited the Island in February of this year and I have never been
            > anywhere so beautiful and so friendly, it's an experience I will never forget.
            >
            > Look forward to hearing from you.
            >
            > Kind regards
            >
            > Lisa
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Caroline Gaden
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 17 11:36 PM
              Check out RMS St Helena and Andrew Lloyd Shipping on Google. You sail
              from Cape Town, 5 days on RMS, then on the island for as long as it
              takes for the ship to get to Ascension and back (about a week)or UK and
              back where she goes once or twice a year. You can fly to the RAF base on
              Ascension Islands and pick up RMS on her way back to St H.... all on web
              site
              Cheers
              Caroline

            • Caroline Gaden
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 17 11:36 PM
                Andrew WEIR shipping.... have Lloyd Webber on the brain!

              • Lisa Nichols
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 18 12:54 AM
                  Hi Linda

                  We flew to Cape Town from the UK and travelled to the island on board the RMS St Helena which took us five days to get there.  If you go on the RMS St Helena website they have all the details.

                  Hope you get to go, it's a beautiful island.

                • Barbara MacLeod
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 9, 2011
                    Let me know what you find out as I am in Annapolis! I am so wanting to visit the island but I think one has to leave from Dulles on a nonstop to Capetown. First I need to win the lotter....:)

                    Andrew WEIR shipping.... have Lloyd Webber on the brain!

                    On 15/04/2011 8:06 AM, Linda wrote:
                    > Lisa,
                    >
                    > I read your message about your visiting St. Helena in February. What is
                    > the best way to travel to St. Helena? I understand that there is no
                    > airport. How do you get there from the US? Do you fly to South Africa
                    > (Capetown , Durban???) and then catch a boat to St. Helena? How often
                    > does the boat travel to St. Helena? I thought that I read something
                    > about it traveling there only four times a year.
                    >
                    > Linda
                    >
                    > Baltimore, Maryland USA
                    >
                    > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                    > <mailto:st-helena-genealogy%40yahoogroups.com>, Lisa Nichols
                    > <nicholslisa60@...> wrote:
                    >  >
                    >  > Hi Valerie
                    >  >
                    >  > Nice to hear from you.  Was the Mary (nee Moyce) that you mentioned
                    > married to
                    >  > Percy and did they use to live in Edgeware some years ago?  Also, my
                    > sister
                    >  > Susan remembers meeting a Valerie but it would have been as a very
                    > young girl
                    >  > back in the 60's.
                    >  >
                    >  > If any of this is relevant to you, then yes, we could be related!
                    >  >
                    >  > I also visited the Island in February of this year and I have never been
                    >  > anywhere so beautiful and so friendly, it's an experience I will
                    > never forget.
                    >  >
                    >  > Look forward to hearing from you.
                    >  >