Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] HOPKINS

  • A.H.Schulenburg
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30 12:11 AM
      Lisa,

      As you can se, responses go to the list.  So just do the same again with your substantial reply.

      It's good to see that the list remains active and of interest.

      Regards,
      Alexander Schulenburg
      Moderator

      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2010
        Hi Merlynn,

        Not sure if you are still investigating this - I see that you posted this a few years ago!

        My surname is Hopkins and I am from St Helena, and I can confirm that there are definitely Hopkins's still living there. There is actually just one family of Hopkins - which makes the research slightly easier on the island - so from that I believe we may be related! I believe the gg grandfather's name was William Hopkins - and we did think he was Welsh - so it would be good to confirm that as well as confirm when he arrived on the Island etc.

        I did some research when I was on St Helena recently and I did find the baptism record for Phoebe Isabella Hopkins - who I believe is a sister of my great grandmother - Christina Maude Hopkins - but I don't have any further info on her as I only had time to look up my great grandmother.

        Anyway - I shall leave it there - and hopefully you will get in touch and we can share some further information.

        Lisa Hopkins

        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "mer_mar008" <mmarion@...> wrote:

        > Hi, I am looking for info on PHOEBE ISABELLA HOPKINS b. abt 1898/9 on
        > the island. Her father's surname was HOPKINS (first name unknown).
        > He was Welsh. Her mother is unknown to me. PHOEBE arrived in South
        > |Africa abt 1914 and lived the rest of her life in SA. She married
        > William (Boetie) Harwood a south african. Are there still HOPKINS
        > families living on the island??
        > Regards
        > Merlynn Marion

      • Merilyn Pedrick
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2010
          Hi Lisa

          I don't have Hopkins ancestors, but I was interested in anyone with the
          surname Graham.

          Best wishes

          Merilyn

          wrote:

          > Hi, I am looking for info on PHOEBE ISABELLA HOPKINS b. ABT 1898/9 on

          > the island. Her father's surname was HOPKINS (first name unknown).

          > He was Welsh. Her mother is unknown to me. PHOEBE arrived in South

          > |Africa ABT 1914 and lived the rest of her life in SA. She married

          > William (Boetie) Harwood a south African. Are there still HOPKINS

          > families living on the island??

          > Regards

          > Merlynn Marion

        • lester palmer
          Message 4 of 8 , May 11, 2010
            hi, my ggrandads surname was graham,andrew simon graham,brn abt 1898,married maude alice richards than migrated 2 sa about 1920s,i need more info bout that family tree,can you help?

            On Mon, 03 May 2010 03:43 EEST Merilyn Pedrick wrote:

            >Hi Lisa
            >
            >I don't have Hopkins ancestors, but I was interested in anyone with the
            >surname Graham.
            >
            >Best wishes
            >
            >Merilyn

          • lester palmer
            Message 5 of 8 , May 11, 2010
              i might have sent this already,my ggrandfather andrew simon graham had 3 sons, edward william graham,herbert graham and albert graham,ggrandad must have also been a mechanic as edward graham was one.he was brn 1925 and died 1978,there is no birth record in south africa for andrew,all i no is that they lived in jamestown and i think he was in the army in the 1920s or so

              On Tue, 11 May 2010 23:42 EEST lester palmer wrote:

              >hi, my ggrandads surname was graham,andrew simon graham,brn abt 1898,married maude alice richards than migrated 2 sa about 1920s,i need more info bout that family tree,can you help?
              >
              >On Mon, 03 May 2010 03:43 EEST Merilyn Pedrick wrote:
              >
              >>Hi Lisa
              >>
              >>I don't have Hopkins ancestors, but I was interested in anyone with the
              >>surname Graham.
              >>
              >>Best wishes
              >>
              >>Merilyn

            • Merilyn Pedrick
              Message 6 of 8 , May 11, 2010
                Hi Lisa

                James Samuel Graham enlisted in the HEIC in 1826 and went with them to St.
                Helena in 1827 as a bombadier or gunner. His wife was Frances, possibly
                Streightfield, and their first two children were born in St. Helena, James
                Samuel in 1827 and Mary Ann in 1830. Their third child was born in Lambeth,
                London in 1833, so the family must have returned to England by that time.

                I'm wondering if either of the two sons went back to St. Helena in later
                life.

                Best wishes

                Merilyn

                Hi, my ggrandads surname was graham,Andrew Simon graham,brn ABT 1898,married
                maude Alice Richards than migrated 2 as about 1920s,I need more info bout

                -