HOPKINS

  • Lisa Hopkins
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 28, 2010
      I wanted to respond to this post - although I know it was posted a very long time ago (2006)!
      Do I email my response to you and then you will post it?

      Thanks
      Lisa Hopkins

      Hi, I am looking for info on PHOEBE ISABELLA HOPKINS b. abt 1898/9 on
      the island. Her father's surname was HOPKINS (first name unknown).
      He was Welsh. Her mother is unknown to me. PHOEBE arrived in South
      |Africa abt 1914 and lived the rest of her life in SA. She married
      William (Boetie) Harwood a south african. Are there still HOPKINS
      families living on the island??
      Regards
      Merlynn Marion
    • A.H.Schulenburg
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 30, 2010
        Lisa,

        As you can se, responses go to the list.  So just do the same again with your substantial reply.

        It's good to see that the list remains active and of interest.

        Regards,
        Alexander Schulenburg
        Moderator

        I wanted to respond to this post - although I know it was posted a very long time ago (2006)!
        Do I email my response to you and then you will post it?

        Thanks
        Lisa Hopkins

        Hi, I am looking for info on PHOEBE ISABELLA HOPKINS b. abt 1898/9 on
        the island. Her father's surname was HOPKINS (first name unknown).
        He was Welsh. Her mother is unknown to me. PHOEBE arrived in South
        |Africa abt 1914 and lived the rest of her life in SA. She married
        William (Boetie) Harwood a south african. Are there still HOPKINS
        families living on the island??
        Regards
        Merlynn Marion
      • Lisa
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2010
          Hi Merlynn,

          Not sure if you are still investigating this - I see that you posted this a few years ago!

          My surname is Hopkins and I am from St Helena, and I can confirm that there are definitely Hopkins's still living there. There is actually just one family of Hopkins - which makes the research slightly easier on the island - so from that I believe we may be related! I believe the gg grandfather's name was William Hopkins - and we did think he was Welsh - so it would be good to confirm that as well as confirm when he arrived on the Island etc.

          I did some research when I was on St Helena recently and I did find the baptism record for Phoebe Isabella Hopkins - who I believe is a sister of my great grandmother - Christina Maude Hopkins - but I don't have any further info on her as I only had time to look up my great grandmother.

          Anyway - I shall leave it there - and hopefully you will get in touch and we can share some further information.

          Lisa Hopkins

          --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "mer_mar008" <mmarion@...> wrote:

          > Hi, I am looking for info on PHOEBE ISABELLA HOPKINS b. abt 1898/9 on
          > the island. Her father's surname was HOPKINS (first name unknown).
          > He was Welsh. Her mother is unknown to me. PHOEBE arrived in South
          > |Africa abt 1914 and lived the rest of her life in SA. She married
          > William (Boetie) Harwood a south african. Are there still HOPKINS
          > families living on the island??
          > Regards
          > Merlynn Marion

        • Merilyn Pedrick
          Message 4 of 8 , May 2, 2010
            Hi Lisa

            I don't have Hopkins ancestors, but I was interested in anyone with the
            surname Graham.

            Best wishes

            Merilyn

            wrote:

            > Hi, I am looking for info on PHOEBE ISABELLA HOPKINS b. ABT 1898/9 on

            > the island. Her father's surname was HOPKINS (first name unknown).

            > He was Welsh. Her mother is unknown to me. PHOEBE arrived in South

            > |Africa ABT 1914 and lived the rest of her life in SA. She married

            > William (Boetie) Harwood a south African. Are there still HOPKINS

            > families living on the island??

            > Regards

            > Merlynn Marion

          • lester palmer
            Message 5 of 8 , May 11, 2010
              hi, my ggrandads surname was graham,andrew simon graham,brn abt 1898,married maude alice richards than migrated 2 sa about 1920s,i need more info bout that family tree,can you help?

              On Mon, 03 May 2010 03:43 EEST Merilyn Pedrick wrote:

              >Hi Lisa
              >
              >I don't have Hopkins ancestors, but I was interested in anyone with the
              >surname Graham.
              >
              >Best wishes
              >
              >Merilyn

            • lester palmer
              Message 6 of 8 , May 11, 2010
                i might have sent this already,my ggrandfather andrew simon graham had 3 sons, edward william graham,herbert graham and albert graham,ggrandad must have also been a mechanic as edward graham was one.he was brn 1925 and died 1978,there is no birth record in south africa for andrew,all i no is that they lived in jamestown and i think he was in the army in the 1920s or so

                On Tue, 11 May 2010 23:42 EEST lester palmer wrote:

                >hi, my ggrandads surname was graham,andrew simon graham,brn abt 1898,married maude alice richards than migrated 2 sa about 1920s,i need more info bout that family tree,can you help?
                >
                >On Mon, 03 May 2010 03:43 EEST Merilyn Pedrick wrote:
                >
                >>Hi Lisa
                >>
                >>I don't have Hopkins ancestors, but I was interested in anyone with the
                >>surname Graham.
                >>
                >>Best wishes
                >>
                >>Merilyn

              • Merilyn Pedrick
                Message 7 of 8 , May 11, 2010
                  Hi Lisa

                  James Samuel Graham enlisted in the HEIC in 1826 and went with them to St.
                  Helena in 1827 as a bombadier or gunner. His wife was Frances, possibly
                  Streightfield, and their first two children were born in St. Helena, James
                  Samuel in 1827 and Mary Ann in 1830. Their third child was born in Lambeth,
                  London in 1833, so the family must have returned to England by that time.

                  I'm wondering if either of the two sons went back to St. Helena in later
                  life.

                  Best wishes

                  Merilyn

                  Hi, my ggrandads surname was graham,Andrew Simon graham,brn ABT 1898,married
                  maude Alice Richards than migrated 2 as about 1920s,I need more info bout

                  -