Re: Dasey Deasey family

  • dopeydimwit
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 25 9:14 PM
      Hello Michelle

      Ah the short story for James was that he was transported to Australia ... ultimately moved to the Inverell district in NSW ... raised a large family ... died and was buried at Daseytown - just out of Inverell - (one of only two people to be buried there) and his descendants are spread all over the eastern states.

      Several family members have done quite a bit of research into the Dasey family and we were over in Inverell at Christmas.

      Daseytown and Copeton ... where many of the family are buried ... is now covered by the waters of Copeton Dam ... unless there's a severe drought and dam level drops below about 9%.

      These days there's some confusion about where the Copeton cemetery is under all that water but we're fairly sure it was exposed when we were there at Christmas time and we got within eye-sight of it. We just didn't realise what we were actually looking at until we got a good look at some of the digital photos we took.

      At the time we took them we just thought it was another hill slowly appearing above the receding waterline and we included it in a number of general photos we took of what is now really a very desolate and lonely the area.

      There's also a monument on the other side of the dam that lists the names of all those who were buried at Copeton and Daseytown. The monument was supposed to be pointing towards where the Copeton Cemetery was but, according to a local ranger who was living in the area before the dam was built, whoever erected the monument actually pointed it 45 degrees too far to the right.

      My wife - Toni - is a Dasey descendant.

      Contact me off list if you think we can help you with any further information.

      Stuart Livesey