Local input please

  • Caroline Gaden
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 4 3:36 PM
      Hello again!
      Is there a list member who lives on St Helena? I have a couple of local
      non-genealogical queries that I'd like to ask off list please and I'd
      appreciate your help
      Many thanks
      Caroline
      NSW Australia
    • sigridmcmahon
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 4 11:05 PM
        Hello Don, Nathaniel Solomon and Phoebe de Metz were my late husband's 3rd great-grandparents through their son Lewis Gideon Solomon who changed his name to Lewis Gideon. He married Julia Magnus on St. Helena. Please contact me off list, I think I can help.
        Regards,
        Sigi McMahon

        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "noddynomolos" <noddynomolos@...> wrote:

        > Dear Group
        > I and a group of like minded family members are tracing our family history. Our for fathers played a roll in the development of St Helena and we seek to learn more about them. I have had the honour of visiting St Helena twice once in 1977 and another time in 1986 and would love to return some day. Our family line starts on St Helena with Nathaniel Solomon (1754-1816) and his wife Phoebe Solomon (de Mitz) I am from their son Josephs Solomon and his wife Hanna Solomon (Moss) line. Nathaniel and Phoebe are my 6 x Great-Grand-Parents. Any and all information on them or any other Solomon family member would be very much appreciated.
        > Yours,
        > Don Solomon (Vancouver, BC, Canada)
      • foxhome
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 5 4:57 AM

          Caroline,  these quotes from my book The Bennett Letters might answer your  query/ George Brooks Bennett was born in 1816 on St Helena and left a long letter to his daughter in his old age.. He attended Mrs Weston’s school on the island until 1821 when he was sent back to England with several other children on an Eastindiaman and went to school in Alton in Hampshire.

          A few quotes

          George’s other memories of his childhood ‘are very scanty and consist mainly of my journeys to school upon a little pony (Black Prince) accompanied by my nurse

          ‘It will be thought that I was very young indeed to go such a long voyage, but what influenced my parents in sending me was the knowledge that the ship’s doctor, Dr. Stewart, was a personal friend and had undertaken to look after me. We also had a soldier’s wife to attend to me and to my cabin and berth mate Mr Henry Solomon,[i] who was but 6 months older than me. I lately here [i.e. in 1886 at Cape Town - Ed.] fell in with an aged widow Mrs Doveton[ii] who, as a little lassie, shared the cabin with us and other children.

          ‘Mr Saulez’s Academy, Twenty five Young Gentlemen are received as Boarders and instructed in everything essential to prepare them for Public Schools, Public Offices, or active life. Terms including French, 25 guineas/annum

          I fancy that it was not a fair start and that I got ahead of him because, with me, the a-b-c- part had all been mastered in Mrs Weston’s[iii] school at St. Helena.

          I have no idea if any school records exist but very much doubt it

          Best wishes

          Colin Fox

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 5 2:55 PM
            Hi Don, Sorry for the delay in replying to your postings, but I've moved and all Yahoo mail still went to the old email account. I've changed that now and will reply to your Solomon queries off list.

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 5 3:16 PM
              Thank you for this Colin... I guess if there were several children
              travelling to England together it would have been much better than the
              odd one or two. Was Mr Saulez's Academy the school in England? I assume
              the St Helena school was run by the East India Company???
              I wonder if any school records could be part of EIC archives.
              More research needed!!
              Thanks vey much
              Caroline
            • foxhome
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 6 8:24 AM

                Caroline, Yes Mr Saulez school was in Alton, Hants. The building is still there but alas no school records that I could find in the Hampshire record office.

                I’m not sure that Mrs Weston’s school was run by the EIC. I suspect not.

                Good luck with your researches

                Colin