Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Solomon Family

  • noddynomolos
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 2, 2010
      Hi Nancy-Jo and Group

      I think the best place to start is The St Helena Institute
      http://www.archeion.talktalk.net/sthelena/

      Some information an also be found at the South African National Archive http://www.national.archives.gov.za/

      Colins site The Bennett Letters http://www.thebennettletters.com/
      Has a good little links section

      http://www.bweaver.nom.sh/index.html#brooke
      This site provides electronic versions of literature related to St. Helena and also maps and views. The

      Good Luck
      Yours truly,
      Don Solomon

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Nancy-Jo Nunez <njnunez@...> wrote:

      > Hi Don
      > Thanks for posting that, do you know of any census records say 1860s that would be on line to search through on St. Helena residents?  Thanks.
      > Nancy-Jo
      >

      > ________________________________

    • noddynomolos
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 2, 2010
        Dear David and group,
        Thank you for the lead.. I'll go take a look..
        Glad to meet you.
        Don

        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, DavSpread@... wrote:

        > Hi,
        > You will find a 1814 census here
        > _http://www.archeion.talktalk.net/sthelena/familyhistory.htm_
        > (http://www.archeion.talktalk.net/sthelena/familyhistory.htm)
        > David (I am descended from Everton, Roakes and Daley)

      • Caroline Gaden
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 4, 2010
          Hello Everyone
          A query re the archives on St Helena
          Does anyone know the current email address please as I'd like to make
          contact.
          Are the school records there?
          In the 1800-1815 time frame was there a school for primary age children
          only, or at what age did children start and leave school?
          Did any/many children go to England for their schooling? I ask this
          because in Betsy Balcombe's recollections she refers to her two younger
          brothers as being on St Helena but makes no reference to her older
          brother who we assume may have been at School in England or perhaps
          could have started in the Navy [as his father did] or was perhaps
          working somewhere.
          Any help much appreciated
          Thanks
          Caroline
          NSW
          Australia
        • Caroline Gaden
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 4, 2010
            Hello again!
            Is there a list member who lives on St Helena? I have a couple of local
            non-genealogical queries that I'd like to ask off list please and I'd
            appreciate your help
            Many thanks
            Caroline
            NSW Australia
          • sigridmcmahon
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 4, 2010
              Hello Don, Nathaniel Solomon and Phoebe de Metz were my late husband's 3rd great-grandparents through their son Lewis Gideon Solomon who changed his name to Lewis Gideon. He married Julia Magnus on St. Helena. Please contact me off list, I think I can help.
              Regards,
              Sigi McMahon

              --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "noddynomolos" <noddynomolos@...> wrote:

              > Dear Group
              > I and a group of like minded family members are tracing our family history. Our for fathers played a roll in the development of St Helena and we seek to learn more about them. I have had the honour of visiting St Helena twice once in 1977 and another time in 1986 and would love to return some day. Our family line starts on St Helena with Nathaniel Solomon (1754-1816) and his wife Phoebe Solomon (de Mitz) I am from their son Josephs Solomon and his wife Hanna Solomon (Moss) line. Nathaniel and Phoebe are my 6 x Great-Grand-Parents. Any and all information on them or any other Solomon family member would be very much appreciated.
              > Yours,
              > Don Solomon (Vancouver, BC, Canada)
            • foxhome
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 5, 2010

                Caroline,  these quotes from my book The Bennett Letters might answer your  query/ George Brooks Bennett was born in 1816 on St Helena and left a long letter to his daughter in his old age.. He attended Mrs Weston’s school on the island until 1821 when he was sent back to England with several other children on an Eastindiaman and went to school in Alton in Hampshire.

                A few quotes

                George’s other memories of his childhood ‘are very scanty and consist mainly of my journeys to school upon a little pony (Black Prince) accompanied by my nurse

                ‘It will be thought that I was very young indeed to go such a long voyage, but what influenced my parents in sending me was the knowledge that the ship’s doctor, Dr. Stewart, was a personal friend and had undertaken to look after me. We also had a soldier’s wife to attend to me and to my cabin and berth mate Mr Henry Solomon,[i] who was but 6 months older than me. I lately here [i.e. in 1886 at Cape Town - Ed.] fell in with an aged widow Mrs Doveton[ii] who, as a little lassie, shared the cabin with us and other children.

                ‘Mr Saulez’s Academy, Twenty five Young Gentlemen are received as Boarders and instructed in everything essential to prepare them for Public Schools, Public Offices, or active life. Terms including French, 25 guineas/annum

                I fancy that it was not a fair start and that I got ahead of him because, with me, the a-b-c- part had all been mastered in Mrs Weston’s[iii] school at St. Helena.

                I have no idea if any school records exist but very much doubt it

                Best wishes

                Colin Fox

                Does anyone know the current email address please as I'd like to make
                contact.
                Are the school records there?
                In the 1800-1815 time frame was there a school for primary age children
                only, or at what age did children start and leave school?
                Did any/many children go to England for their schooling? I ask this
                because in Betsy Balcombe's recollections she refers to her two younger
                brothers as being on St Helena but makes no reference to her older
                brother who we assume may have been at School in England or perhaps
                could have started in the Navy [as his father did] or was perhaps
                working somewhere.
                Any help much appreciated
                Thanks
                Caroline
                NSW
                Australia

                [i] Henry Solomon was the eldest son of Joseph and Hannah (nee Moss), b 18/04/1816. His brother Saul, crippled by rheumatic fever, later became a leading S.African businessman (quoted in Hearl).

                [ii] Dovetons - see Carter. The ‘aged widow’ may have been Anne Wilson Doveton (neé Greentree) b1815 who married John Richard Doveton, grandson of Sir William Webber Doveton.

                [iii] Hearl found no reference to Mrs Weston but noted that a Henry Weston was teaching at the Company’s second school in the 1820’s.

              • sigridmcmahon
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 5, 2010
                  Hi Don, Sorry for the delay in replying to your postings, but I've moved and all Yahoo mail still went to the old email account. I've changed that now and will reply to your Solomon queries off list.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 5, 2010
                    Thank you for this Colin... I guess if there were several children
                    travelling to England together it would have been much better than the
                    odd one or two. Was Mr Saulez's Academy the school in England? I assume
                    the St Helena school was run by the East India Company???
                    I wonder if any school records could be part of EIC archives.
                    More research needed!!
                    Thanks vey much
                    Caroline
                  • foxhome
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 6, 2010

                      Caroline, Yes Mr Saulez school was in Alton, Hants. The building is still there but alas no school records that I could find in the Hampshire record office.

                      I’m not sure that Mrs Weston’s school was run by the EIC. I suspect not.

                      Good luck with your researches

                      Colin