Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Solomon Family

  • noddynomolos
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 2, 2010
      Hi Nancy-Jo and Group

      I think the best place to start is The St Helena Institute
      http://www.archeion.talktalk.net/sthelena/

      Some information an also be found at the South African National Archive http://www.national.archives.gov.za/

      Colins site The Bennett Letters http://www.thebennettletters.com/
      Has a good little links section

      http://www.bweaver.nom.sh/index.html#brooke
      This site provides electronic versions of literature related to St. Helena and also maps and views. The

      Good Luck
      Yours truly,
      Don Solomon

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Nancy-Jo Nunez <njnunez@...> wrote:

      > Hi Don
      > Thanks for posting that, do you know of any census records say 1860s that would be on line to search through on St. Helena residents?  Thanks.
      > Nancy-Jo
      >

      > ________________________________

    • noddynomolos
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 2, 2010
        Dear David and group,
        Thank you for the lead.. I'll go take a look..
        Glad to meet you.
        Don

        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, DavSpread@... wrote:

        > Hi,
        > You will find a 1814 census here
        > _http://www.archeion.talktalk.net/sthelena/familyhistory.htm_
        > (http://www.archeion.talktalk.net/sthelena/familyhistory.htm)
        > David (I am descended from Everton, Roakes and Daley)

      • Nancy-Jo Nunez
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 3, 2010
          Thank you for posting that.

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 4, 2010
            Hello Everyone
            A query re the archives on St Helena
            Does anyone know the current email address please as I'd like to make
            contact.
            Are the school records there?
            In the 1800-1815 time frame was there a school for primary age children
            only, or at what age did children start and leave school?
            Did any/many children go to England for their schooling? I ask this
            because in Betsy Balcombe's recollections she refers to her two younger
            brothers as being on St Helena but makes no reference to her older
            brother who we assume may have been at School in England or perhaps
            could have started in the Navy [as his father did] or was perhaps
            working somewhere.
            Any help much appreciated
            Thanks
            Caroline
            NSW
            Australia
          • Caroline Gaden
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 4, 2010
              Hello again!
              Is there a list member who lives on St Helena? I have a couple of local
              non-genealogical queries that I'd like to ask off list please and I'd
              appreciate your help
              Many thanks
              Caroline
              NSW Australia
            • sigridmcmahon
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 4, 2010
                Hello Don, Nathaniel Solomon and Phoebe de Metz were my late husband's 3rd great-grandparents through their son Lewis Gideon Solomon who changed his name to Lewis Gideon. He married Julia Magnus on St. Helena. Please contact me off list, I think I can help.
                Regards,
                Sigi McMahon

                --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "noddynomolos" <noddynomolos@...> wrote:

                > Dear Group
                > I and a group of like minded family members are tracing our family history. Our for fathers played a roll in the development of St Helena and we seek to learn more about them. I have had the honour of visiting St Helena twice once in 1977 and another time in 1986 and would love to return some day. Our family line starts on St Helena with Nathaniel Solomon (1754-1816) and his wife Phoebe Solomon (de Mitz) I am from their son Josephs Solomon and his wife Hanna Solomon (Moss) line. Nathaniel and Phoebe are my 6 x Great-Grand-Parents. Any and all information on them or any other Solomon family member would be very much appreciated.
                > Yours,
                > Don Solomon (Vancouver, BC, Canada)
              • foxhome
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 5, 2010

                  Caroline,  these quotes from my book The Bennett Letters might answer your  query/ George Brooks Bennett was born in 1816 on St Helena and left a long letter to his daughter in his old age.. He attended Mrs Weston’s school on the island until 1821 when he was sent back to England with several other children on an Eastindiaman and went to school in Alton in Hampshire.

                  A few quotes

                  George’s other memories of his childhood ‘are very scanty and consist mainly of my journeys to school upon a little pony (Black Prince) accompanied by my nurse

                  ‘It will be thought that I was very young indeed to go such a long voyage, but what influenced my parents in sending me was the knowledge that the ship’s doctor, Dr. Stewart, was a personal friend and had undertaken to look after me. We also had a soldier’s wife to attend to me and to my cabin and berth mate Mr Henry Solomon,[i] who was but 6 months older than me. I lately here [i.e. in 1886 at Cape Town - Ed.] fell in with an aged widow Mrs Doveton[ii] who, as a little lassie, shared the cabin with us and other children.

                  ‘Mr Saulez’s Academy, Twenty five Young Gentlemen are received as Boarders and instructed in everything essential to prepare them for Public Schools, Public Offices, or active life. Terms including French, 25 guineas/annum

                  I fancy that it was not a fair start and that I got ahead of him because, with me, the a-b-c- part had all been mastered in Mrs Weston’s[iii] school at St. Helena.

                  I have no idea if any school records exist but very much doubt it

                  Best wishes

                  Colin Fox

                  Does anyone know the current email address please as I'd like to make
                  contact.
                  Are the school records there?
                  In the 1800-1815 time frame was there a school for primary age children
                  only, or at what age did children start and leave school?
                  Did any/many children go to England for their schooling? I ask this
                  because in Betsy Balcombe's recollections she refers to her two younger
                  brothers as being on St Helena but makes no reference to her older
                  brother who we assume may have been at School in England or perhaps
                  could have started in the Navy [as his father did] or was perhaps
                  working somewhere.
                  Any help much appreciated
                  Thanks
                  Caroline
                  NSW
                  Australia

                  [i] Henry Solomon was the eldest son of Joseph and Hannah (nee Moss), b 18/04/1816. His brother Saul, crippled by rheumatic fever, later became a leading S.African businessman (quoted in Hearl).

                  [ii] Dovetons - see Carter. The ‘aged widow’ may have been Anne Wilson Doveton (neé Greentree) b1815 who married John Richard Doveton, grandson of Sir William Webber Doveton.

                  [iii] Hearl found no reference to Mrs Weston but noted that a Henry Weston was teaching at the Company’s second school in the 1820’s.

                • sigridmcmahon
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 5, 2010
                    Hi Don, Sorry for the delay in replying to your postings, but I've moved and all Yahoo mail still went to the old email account. I've changed that now and will reply to your Solomon queries off list.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 5, 2010
                      Thank you for this Colin... I guess if there were several children
                      travelling to England together it would have been much better than the
                      odd one or two. Was Mr Saulez's Academy the school in England? I assume
                      the St Helena school was run by the East India Company???
                      I wonder if any school records could be part of EIC archives.
                      More research needed!!
                      Thanks vey much
                      Caroline
                    • foxhome
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 6, 2010

                        Caroline, Yes Mr Saulez school was in Alton, Hants. The building is still there but alas no school records that I could find in the Hampshire record office.

                        I’m not sure that Mrs Weston’s school was run by the EIC. I suspect not.

                        Good luck with your researches

                        Colin