Re: Hubbard Family

  • John
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 20, 2010
      If this helps, the 1881 British census lists Saints then resident in England, and includes the following entry:

      Louisa HUBBARD, 16, Female, Unmarried Handicap: Blind From Infancy Household Status: Pupil
      Trade: Knitting Birthplace: Stalham, Norfolk, England
    • Shirley Morgan
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 21, 2010
        Hi All

        I have been a long time member but haven't posted my enquiry for a while. My Great Grand Father was Charles Contest a black man who was born on the Island in 1845. He is registered as being baptised and thats about all I know.

        He left the island and turned up in Coonabarbran in New South Wales Australia but I have no idea how or why. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

        Shirley

        To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
        From: champnrse@...
        Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 16:29:11 -0500
        Subject: Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Hubbard Family

        Hi Jeremy,

        My GGG Grandfather was SGT Daniel HUBBARD, b. ABT 1790, Essex, England.   He arrived at St. Helena via the East India Company aboard the Duke of Montrose in 1806.  He married Elizabeth HARRIS, dgt of SGT Major Henry Boyce HARRIS, SR  25 Dec 1812, St. James Church, Jamestown, St. Helena.   There were six known children.  Some of these children died young.  Daniel Hubbard died on St. Helena 1 Dec 1874, his wife died much earlier in 1834.

        I do know that son James Robert HUBBARD, sailed to Cape Town with his wife in August of 1886.   Other family members, including a sister Jane, were already in Cape Town or South Africa at that time.  Please feel free to contact me regarding more information.

        Regards,

        Lynn M West