Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Hubbard Family

  • Lynn
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 20, 2010
      Hi Jeremy,

      My GGG Grandfather was SGT Daniel HUBBARD, b. ABT 1790, Essex, England.   He arrived at St. Helena via the East India Company aboard the Duke of Montrose in 1806.  He married Elizabeth HARRIS, dgt of SGT Major Henry Boyce HARRIS, SR  25 Dec 1812, St. James Church, Jamestown, St. Helena.   There were six known children.  Some of these children died young.  Daniel Hubbard died on St. Helena 1 Dec 1874, his wife died much earlier in 1834.

      I do know that son James Robert HUBBARD, sailed to Cape Town with his wife in August of 1886.   Other family members, including a sister Jane, were already in Cape Town or South Africa at that time.  Please feel free to contact me regarding more information.

      Regards,

      Lynn M West

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 20, 2010
        If this helps, the 1881 British census lists Saints then resident in England, and includes the following entry:

        Louisa HUBBARD, 16, Female, Unmarried Handicap: Blind From Infancy Household Status: Pupil
        Trade: Knitting Birthplace: Stalham, Norfolk, England
      • Nancy-Jo Nunez
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 20, 2010
          Hello listers,
          Has anyone any idea of where to find ship's records, leaving St. Helena to America for the years say 1869-1875?  Is there a microfilm number, reference materials that anyone has that they could recommend on this list?  Thank you very much for replying.
          Nancy-Jo
          Sunnyvale, CA

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 21, 2010
            Hi All

            I have been a long time member but haven't posted my enquiry for a while. My Great Grand Father was Charles Contest a black man who was born on the Island in 1845. He is registered as being baptised and thats about all I know.

            He left the island and turned up in Coonabarbran in New South Wales Australia but I have no idea how or why. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

            Shirley

            To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com

            Looking for help trying to find information about, Louis Alfred Hubbard. His SA Death notice says he was born in St Helena abt 1846 to parents unknown.
            He died in Cape Province in 1918 but have no more info than that.
            Would love to know if anyone has come across the Hubbard family in their research or if there is anywhere I can see an 1851 census record (If a 1851 census was taken)
            Any help would be most appreciated.

            Jeremy

            Find your next place with Ninemsn property Looking for a place to rent, share or buy?