Re: Carter

  • janetdurnall
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2010
      We are searching for info on Carter family,

      From the U.K. census we have;

      John M Carter (Head) born at sea on way to Ceylon 1836
      Ann (B)? (Wife) born Saint Helena 1839
      Matthew (Son) born St. Helena 1860
      John (Son) born St. Helena 1861

      From National Archives; Matthew Carter born 1805 Stanwell London,
      served 61st foot, St, Helena Regiment, 90th foot 1826 to 1847.

      Would any records concerning any of the above be held on St. Helena?
      We will hopefully be visiting sometime in 2011.

      It has been passed down the family that a forbear was Napoleons' bodyguard. (not jailer) Whether this was Matthew at the exhumation or Anns' family during his lifetime I don't know. Any help would be appreciated.
    • janetdurnall