Alexander Barclay 1800-1865 / Eliza Burch abt 1797-1832

  • hawkshawburn@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 14, 2009
      My 3 x gt grandfather Alexander Barclay aka Bartley served in the St Helena Artillery and married Eliza Burch (who was described as a slave of Mrs Shortis)at St James Church, Jamestown on 10 Oct 1829.

      Their daughter (Margaret Bartley)who was born on 15 Jan 1829 married another soldier (Thomas Sowden)at St James church on 18 Sep 1852.

      Thomas & Margaret Sowden had two children born in St Helena before Thomas took his family back to England. These children were Annie Elizabeth Sowden (b 16 Jul 1856) & Margarett Sowden (b 11 Nov 1859).

      Do any of these names ring any bells with anyone?

      I am very keen to find any more information, particularly on Eliza Burch. It seems that she must have been born in St Helena, the daughter of a slave. The question I would most like to solve is where did Eliza's mother come from?

      Charles
    • foxhome
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 13, 2010

        Hi, I have recently been transcribing the names of slaves who were valued by a committee on the island in Sep1827 in preparation for manumission. I have your Eliza listed but no other Birch’s.

        No

        Name of Proprietior

        Name of Slave

        Age

        Description

        Value

        Remarks

        701

        Captain Shortis

        Eliza Birch

        34

        Washerwoman and house servant has 1 free child 6 years old a good faithful servant

        35

        Hope this is of interest

        Colin Fox

        http://www.thebennettletters.com/

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 14, 2010

            Carol, there are very few military personnel listed as slave owners and John Gordon’s name does not appear amongst them

            Regards

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 14, 2010
              Hi Colin,

              Many thanks.