Re: Yon family tree

  • lessie
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 29, 2009
      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Rachel Hall <mimbza@...> wrote:

      > Jenny mentioned that there is a Yon family tree in her post. I am interested in how to get acces to this as I am trying to find the ancestors of Maria Yon (born about 1851) wife of William Twynham.
      >

      > Thanks
      >
      > Rachel
      >

      > Get the name you always wanted with the new y7mail email address.
      > www.yahoo7.com.au/y7mail
      >Regarding James Richards: there is a record of a James Richards being
      a witness to the marriage of William Knipe, boatman, and Louisa Myra
      Yon on 5th May 1879.Is this my great-great grandfather? The other
      witness was Ruth Yon, who may have been married to one Thomas Bagley,
      another boatman. I mention this for two reasons: the first is that I'm
      not exactly sure what a boatman did, and secondly, because there is
      family lore which suggests that either James or, possibly his father
      was in the Royal Navy. It is also said in our family that there was a
      Red Richards, so called because of his red hair, again it is not clear
      if it was James or his father, but I suspect his father, as it was
      said that he was from Belfast. In addition, one of the two met a
      violent end in Marseille. I wonder if any of these details ring any
      bells with anyone else.

      Before writing my next post I hope to have some details regarding the
      Caswell connection. Look forward to any comments or suggestions.

      Regards

      James Brookes

      Hi I dont know how far you got with yre research, I went back to this site, until 2006 and the family name you were looking for were mentioned a few timew, I was wondering did you look back on the previous year's reserach, I just copied and paste(d) a bit of what they mentioned about yre Yon Family tree,You might have seen it before
      Kind Regards
    • Nancy-Jo Nunez
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 29, 2009
        Has anyone ever written to St. Helena for research and received an answer?  I wrote over 3 years ago and got nothing.  Just wondering if anyone on this list has been successful.  Thanks.

        > Jenny mentioned that there is a Yon family tree in her post. I am interested in how to get acces to this as I am trying to find the ancestors of Maria Yon (born about 1851) wife of William Twynham.
        >

        > Thanks
        >
        > Rachel
        >

        > Get the name you always wanted with the new y7mail email address.
        > www.yahoo7.com. au/y7mail
        >Regarding James Richards: there is a record of a James Richards being
        a witness to the marriage of William Knipe, boatman, and Louisa Myra
        Yon on 5th May 1879.Is this my great-great grandfather? The other
        witness was Ruth Yon, who may have been married to one Thomas Bagley,
        another boatman. I mention this for two reasons: the first is that I'm
        not exactly sure what a boatman did, and secondly, because there is
        family lore which suggests that either James or, possibly his father
        was in the Royal Navy. It is also said in our family that there was a
        Red Richards, so called because of his red hair, again it is not clear
        if it was James or his father, but I suspect his father, as it was
        said that he was from Belfast. In addition, one of the two met a
        violent end in Marseille. I wonder if any of these details ring any
        bells with anyone else.

        Before writing my next post I hope to have some details regarding the
        Caswell connection. Look forward to any comments or suggestions.

        Regards

        James Brookes

        Hi I dont know how far you got with yre research, I went back to this site, until 2006 and the family name you were looking for were mentioned a few timew, I was wondering did you look back on the previous year's reserach, I just copied and paste(d) a bit of what they mentioned about yre Yon Family tree,You might have seen it before
        Kind Regards

      • su rowbotham
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 29, 2009
          Who did you write to?
          It took a year for me to get information, and I had to pay for the research.
          I suggest you contact them again.

          Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:36 AM
          Subject: Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Yon family tree

          Has anyone ever written to St. Helena for research and received an answer?  I wrote over 3 years ago and got nothing.  Just wondering if anyone on this list has been successful.  Thanks.

          > Jenny mentioned that there is a Yon family tree in her post. I am interested in how to get acces to this as I am trying to find the ancestors of Maria Yon (born about 1851) wife of William Twynham.
          >

          > Thanks
          >
          > Rachel
          >

          > Get the name you always wanted with the new y7mail email address.
          > www.yahoo7.com. au/y7mail
          >Regarding James Richards: there is a record of a James Richards being
          a witness to the marriage of William Knipe, boatman, and Louisa Myra
          Yon on 5th May 1879.Is this my great-great grandfather? The other
          witness was Ruth Yon, who may have been married to one Thomas Bagley,
          another boatman. I mention this for two reasons: the first is that I'm
          not exactly sure what a boatman did, and secondly, because there is
          family lore which suggests that either James or, possibly his father
          was in the Royal Navy. It is also said in our family that there was a
          Red Richards, so called because of his red hair, again it is not clear
          if it was James or his father, but I suspect his father, as it was
          said that he was from Belfast. In addition, one of the two met a
          violent end in Marseille. I wonder if any of these details ring any
          bells with anyone else.

          Before writing my next post I hope to have some details regarding the
          Caswell connection. Look forward to any comments or suggestions.

          Regards

          James Brookes

          Hi I dont know how far you got with yre research, I went back to this site, until 2006 and the family name you were looking for were mentioned a few timew, I was wondering did you look back on the previous year's reserach, I just copied and paste(d) a bit of what they mentioned about yre Yon Family tree,You might have seen it before
          Kind Regards

        • Dennis and Jenny
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 30, 2009

            Yes I wrote to St Helena, paid I think £20, and over 6 months later got a reply.  I think there is only one archivist – when I enquired once I was 33rd on the list or something.

            Dennis

            Has anyone ever written to St. Helena for research and received an answer?  I wrote over 3 years ago and got nothing.  Just wondering if anyone on this list has been successful.  Thanks.

            > Jenny mentioned that there is a Yon family tree in her post. I am
            interested in how to get acces to this as I am trying to find the ancestors of Maria Yon (born about 1851) wife of William Twynham.

            > Thanks
            >
            > Rachel
            >

            > Get the name you always wanted with the new y7mail email address.
            > www.yahoo7.com.
            au/y7mail
            >Regarding James Richards: there is a record of a James Richards being
            a witness to the marriage of William Knipe, boatman, and Louisa Myra
            Yon on 5th May 1879.Is this my great-great grandfather? The other
            witness was Ruth Yon, who may have been married to one Thomas Bagley,
            another boatman. I mention this for two reasons: the first is that I'm
            not exactly sure what a boatman did, and secondly, because there is
            family lore which suggests that either James or, possibly his father
            was in the Royal Navy. It is also said in our family that there was a
            Red Richards, so called because of his red hair, again it is not clear
            if it was James or his father, but I suspect his father, as it was
            said that he was from Belfast. In addition, one of the two met a
            violent end in Marseille. I wonder if any of these details ring any
            bells with anyone else.

            Before writing my next post I hope to have some details regarding the
            Caswell connection. Look forward to any comments or suggestions.

            Regards

            James Brookes

            Hi I dont know how far you got with yre research, I went back to this site, until 2006 and the family name you were looking for were mentioned a few timew, I was wondering did you look back on the previous year's reserach, I just copied and paste(d) a bit of what they mentioned about yre Yon Family tree,You might have seen it before
            Kind Regards

          • John Gardiner
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 30, 2009
              Karen Henry has recently taken on the role as Archivist on the island.  I've certainly found her to be very friendly and more than helpful.  I would recommend you contact her on the following email address - archives@....

              Best regards,

              John Gardiner

              Yes I wrote to St Helena, paid I think £20, and over 6 months later got a reply.  I think there is only one archivist – when I enquired once I was 33rd on the list or something.

              Dennis

              Has anyone ever written to St. Helena for research and received an answer?  I wrote over 3 years ago and got nothing.  Just wondering if anyone on this list has been successful.  Thanks.

              > Jenny mentioned that there is a Yon family tree in her post. I am interested in how to get acces to this as I am trying to find the ancestors of Maria Yon (born about 1851) wife of William Twynham.
              >

              > Thanks
              >
              > Rachel
              >

              > Get the name you always wanted with the new y7mail email address.
              > www.yahoo7.com. au/y7mail
              >Regarding James Richards: there is a record of a James Richards being
              a witness to the marriage of William Knipe, boatman, and Louisa Myra
              Yon on 5th May 1879.Is this my great-great grandfather? The other
              witness was Ruth Yon, who may have been married to one Thomas Bagley,
              another boatman. I mention this for two reasons: the first is that I'm
              not exactly sure what a boatman did, and secondly, because there is
              family lore which suggests that either James or, possibly his father
              was in the Royal Navy. It is also said in our family that there was a
              Red Richards, so called because of his red hair, again it is not clear
              if it was James or his father, but I suspect his father, as it was
              said that he was from Belfast. In addition, one of the two met a
              violent end in Marseille. I wonder if any of these details ring any
              bells with anyone else.

              Before writing my next post I hope to have some details regarding the
              Caswell connection. Look forward to any comments or suggestions.

              Regards

              James Brookes

              Hi I dont know how far you got with yre research, I went back to this site, until 2006 and the family name you were looking for were mentioned a few timew, I was wondering did you look back on the previous year's reserach, I just copied and paste(d) a bit of what they mentioned about yre Yon Family tree,You might have seen it before
              Kind Regards

            • Barry Burns
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 30, 2009
                Nancy and others,

                I have actually visited the Jamestown Archives at the Castle many times during the last 11 years.

                Usually the archivist and any helpers are kept very busy with personal callers on site. In fact, many times it is so crowded that any work is well nigh impossible, especially when the RMS is there. So time to deal with requests is very limited and, as you will understand, such work cannot be rushed. I think patience is a must, however enthusiastic you may be for the information.

                Best regards,

                Barry

                Has anyone ever written to St. Helena for research and received an answer?  I wrote over 3 years ago and got nothing.  Just wondering if anyone on this list has been successful.  Thanks.

                > Jenny mentioned that there is a Yon family tree in her post. I am interested in how to get acces to this as I am trying to find the ancestors of Maria Yon (born about 1851) wife of William Twynham.
                >

                > Thanks
                >
                > Rachel
                >

                > Get the name you always wanted with the new y7mail email address.
                > www.yahoo7.com. au/y7mail
                >Regarding James Richards: there is a record of a James Richards being
                a witness to the marriage of William Knipe, boatman, and Louisa Myra
                Yon on 5th May 1879.Is this my great-great grandfather? The other
                witness was Ruth Yon, who may have been married to one Thomas Bagley,
                another boatman. I mention this for two reasons: the first is that I'm
                not exactly sure what a boatman did, and secondly, because there is
                family lore which suggests that either James or, possibly his father
                was in the Royal Navy. It is also said in our family that there was a
                Red Richards, so called because of his red hair, again it is not clear
                if it was James or his father, but I suspect his father, as it was
                said that he was from Belfast. In addition, one of the two met a
                violent end in Marseille. I wonder if any of these details ring any
                bells with anyone else.

                Before writing my next post I hope to have some details regarding the
                Caswell connection. Look forward to any comments or suggestions.

                Regards

                James Brookes

                Hi I dont know how far you got with yre research, I went back to this site, until 2006 and the family name you were looking for were mentioned a few timew, I was wondering did you look back on the previous year's reserach, I just copied and paste(d) a bit of what they mentioned about yre Yon Family tree,You might have seen it before
                Kind Regards

              • Clifford Masters
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 30, 2009
                  Hi Nancy
                    You are not alone
                  perhaps it was a bad time more members have joined and we find more help
                  Clifford

                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 2, 2009
                    Hi Clifford,
                    Thank you for responding, I'm not sure if the museum there is volunteer or what, but it's impossible to get an answer out of anyone.  I even put an add in a local newspaper down there and nothing.  I'm sure there are relatives down there existing today.

                    My hands are tied, I'm at a loss for another avenue, any ideas ?

                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 2, 2009
                      Thank you Barry, however, my request was sent via postal mail as well and it's been 3 years, so I may try again.  But 3 years is an extremely long time to wait for an answer.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 2, 2009
                        Thank you very much for sending that through.  I'll give that a try.

                        Karen Henry has recently taken on the role as Archivist on the island.  I've certainly found her to be very friendly and more than helpful.  I would recommend you contact her on the following email address - archives@sainthelen a.gov.sh.

                        Best regards,

                        John Gardiner

                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 2, 2009
                          Thank you Dennis

                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 2, 2009
                            Thanks Su, it's been 3 years so I can't recall the persons name.

                            Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:36 AM

                            Has anyone ever written to St. Helena for research and received an answer?  I wrote over 3 years ago and got nothing.  Just wondering if anyone on this list has been successful.  Thanks.

                            > Jenny mentioned that there is a Yon family tree in her post. I am interested in how to get acces to this as I am trying to find the ancestors of Maria Yon (born about 1851) wife of William Twynham.
                            >

                            > Thanks
                            >
                            > Rachel
                            >

                            > Get the name you always wanted with the new y7mail email address.
                            > www.yahoo7.com. au/y7mail
                            >Regarding James Richards: there is a record of a James Richards being
                            a witness to the marriage of William Knipe, boatman, and Louisa Myra
                            Yon on 5th May 1879.Is this my great-great grandfather? The other
                            witness was Ruth Yon, who may have been married to one Thomas Bagley,
                            another boatman. I mention this for two reasons: the first is that I'm
                            not exactly sure what a boatman did, and secondly, because there is
                            family lore which suggests that either James or, possibly his father
                            was in the Royal Navy. It is also said in our family that there was a
                            Red Richards, so called because of his red hair, again it is not clear
                            if it was James or his father, but I suspect his father, as it was
                            said that he was from Belfast. In addition, one of the two met a
                            violent end in Marseille. I wonder if any of these details ring any
                            bells with anyone else.

                            Before writing my next post I hope to have some details regarding the
                            Caswell connection. Look forward to any comments or suggestions.

                            Regards

                            James Brookes

                            Hi I dont know how far you got with yre research, I went back to this site, until 2006 and the family name you were looking for were mentioned a few timew, I was wondering did you look back on the previous year's reserach, I just copied and paste(d) a bit of what they mentioned about yre Yon Family tree,You might have seen it before
                            Kind Regards

                          • Angus Williams
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 3, 2009
                              G/day Nancy
                              try an contact "michelleyon2006@... "she live in  Half tree hollow  StHellena  tell her that Gus gave you her infomation. till later
                              Angus(Gus)

                              Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:36 AM

                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 3, 2009
                                Thank you so much Gus....have a great day and weekend.  I'll try that and perhaps copy you on the email.  Thank you.

                                Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:36 AM