Brown Family

  • Vanda Bridgens
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 23, 2009
      Hi ,
       I am hoping someone can help me.Please
      My G Grandmother Alice Maud Brown was born on St Helena c1867, her
      mother Elizabeth Walsh was born in the East Indies (don't know where)
      c1840, Alice,s father Robert Brown was born Belfast Ireland c1824.
      Elizabeth and Robert married in India in 1856 when Robert was serving
      in the 104th foot.
      On his discharge he gave his intended place of residence as Belfast
      then changed his mind and said India but he must have changed his
      mind again for my G Grandmother to be born on St Helena. What i am
      trying to find out is;
      Where  and when did they live on the Island?
      Why they went to the island,
      When did they leave?
      What he would have done for employment,
      I cannot find any trace of them before 1871 when they were back in
      the UK and after that either , and the Archives on St Helena cannot
      find Alice's birth records.
      I hope this makes sense, This is my brick wall and i hope someone can
      come up with suggestions on where i can look next.
      Thanks in advance,
      Vanda
      PS there was another child born on St Helena, Walter Brown c1864

    • Kaylene Vd Merve
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 14, 2015

        Good Day All,

        I am trying to find out the family background for my great grandmother Annie Brown, Annie was born 6 April 1903 either on the island of St Helena or in Cape Town. Her mother was originally from the island of St Helena, her name may have been Dorothea or Minnie, she may have come across to South Africa on the slave ships back in the day looking for work.

        Any information on the Brown family is most welcome.

        Best,

        Kaylene van der Merwe