James Dooris, Ann Booth, George Booth.

  • raymonddorris@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2009
      Hi, first message. I am retired and live in Scotland.
      I was Port captain for Fairclough Construction on Ascension Island in 1983 and lived in the Priest's bungalow on Long Beach.
      All the stevedores bringing the material onshore were "Saints" and it was a privilege to work with them. The nickname given to me was 'Blackbook'.

      My genealogy line is "DOORIS", from the border between North and Southern Ireland.
      Various records list a 'Dooris' on St Helena 1826-1834.
      JAMES DOORIS, St Helena Regiment, sargeant in 1834,
      married ANN BOOTH(Free) on St Helena in 26/10/1826.
      5 children;
      FELIX DOORIS
      ELIZABETH MARGARET DOORIS
      MARY ANN DOORIS
      JAMES LAUGHLIN DOORIS
      John DOORIS.

      The 1814 Census lists, GEORGE BOOTH - as head of household, presumably the father of ANN BOOTH.

      When the St Helena Regiment was dismissed in 1836 and replaced by the 91st Regiment;
      did James + family remain on the Island?
      did James + family leave and go? where?
      did James have to abandon his family and left by himself?

      Any information on the above families DOORIS/BOOTH would be appreciated.
      Raymond Dorris