Re: "Lufkins"

  • artoriousellis
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 10, 2009
      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Rich Perkins
      <rmperkins@...> wrote:

      Hi Rich,
      Thanks for that info , any information would be most welcome & also
      100% more than I currently have.The name of the family I am
      researching is ELLIS & on the LDS films of their marriages they
      stated Lufkins as their home?It is possible that my ggggrandfather ,
      John Ellis was a farmer there as on his marriage certificate his
      occupation is given as farmer.If there are any photo`s available that
      would also be great.
      Kind Regards
      Rob Ellis
      > And I can add - again fairly uselessly - that I went to Lufkins
      barely
      > 6weeks ago, and sadly it is currently unused and slowly crumbling,
      which
      > is a shame as it is a lovely old house, with what could be fabulous
      > gardens and a stunning view.
      >
      > Incidentally, i discovered yesterday that one of my relatives
      happened
      > to be born in Lufkins so i can probably find out a bit more about
      the
      > history if you want.
      >
      > Rich
      > (sadly leaving St. Helena in less than a week)
      >
      > John Coyle wrote:
      > >
      > > Can't help you much with the history of "Luffkin's", but I can
      point out
      > > where it is! If you have a map of the island handy, follow the
      road which
      > > runs to the West of Sandy Bay, along the ridges and past High
      Peak. Just
      > > where the road ends (on the 1966 map) at Thompson's Valley,
      > > "Luffkin's" is a
      > > small property at the end of the dotted road leading towards
      Sandy Bay.
      > > During the course of the mutiny of 22/4/1693, John Lufkin was one
      of the
      > > islanders held captive by the mutineers, and later taken on board
      the
      > > "Francis and Mary", the ship the mutineers intended to use to
      escape the
      > > island. He was later released unharmed.
      > >
      > > HTH
      > >
      > > John Coyle, Brisbane, Australia

      Helena
      > > named "Lufkins".Looking on the LDS films on marriages of my
      ancestors
      > > from the Island surname ELLIS , many of them stated in the
      marriage
      > > register as Lufkins being their home.
      > > Any help would be appreciated.
      > > Thanks
      > > Rob Ellis

    • Barbara MacLeod
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 16, 2009
        Hello and I am late in checking this mail but I am green with envy. I so want to visit afore the airport and will hope to get there soon. Cheers, B