Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] "Lufkins"

  • Rich Perkins
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 9, 2009
      And I can add - again fairly uselessly - that I went to Lufkins barely
      6weeks ago, and sadly it is currently unused and slowly crumbling, which
      is a shame as it is a lovely old house, with what could be fabulous
      gardens and a stunning view.

      Incidentally, i discovered yesterday that one of my relatives happened
      to be born in Lufkins so i can probably find out a bit more about the
      history if you want.

      Rich
      (sadly leaving St. Helena in less than a week)

      John Coyle wrote:

      > Can't help you much with the history of "Luffkin's", but I can point out
      > where it is! If you have a map of the island handy, follow the road which
      > runs to the West of Sandy Bay, along the ridges and past High Peak. Just
      > where the road ends (on the 1966 map) at Thompson's Valley,
      > "Luffkin's" is a
      > small property at the end of the dotted road leading towards Sandy Bay.
      > During the course of the mutiny of 22/4/1693, John Lufkin was one of the
      > islanders held captive by the mutineers, and later taken on board the
      > "Francis and Mary", the ship the mutineers intended to use to escape the
      > island. He was later released unharmed.
      >
      > HTH
      >
      > John Coyle, Brisbane, Australia

    • artoriousellis
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 10, 2009
        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Rich Perkins
        <rmperkins@...> wrote:

        Hi Rich,
        Thanks for that info , any information would be most welcome & also
        100% more than I currently have.The name of the family I am
        researching is ELLIS & on the LDS films of their marriages they
        stated Lufkins as their home?It is possible that my ggggrandfather ,
        John Ellis was a farmer there as on his marriage certificate his
        occupation is given as farmer.If there are any photo`s available that
        would also be great.
        Kind Regards
        Rob Ellis

      • Barbara MacLeod
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 16, 2009
          Hello and I am late in checking this mail but I am green with envy. I so want to visit afore the airport and will hope to get there soon. Cheers, B