RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] "Lufkins"

  • John Coyle
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 27, 2009
      Can't help you much with the history of "Luffkin's", but I can point out
      where it is! If you have a map of the island handy, follow the road which
      runs to the West of Sandy Bay, along the ridges and past High Peak. Just
      where the road ends (on the 1966 map) at Thompson's Valley, "Luffkin's" is a
      small property at the end of the dotted road leading towards Sandy Bay.
      During the course of the mutiny of 22/4/1693, John Lufkin was one of the
      islanders held captive by the mutineers, and later taken on board the
      "Francis and Mary", the ship the mutineers intended to use to escape the
      island. He was later released unharmed.

      HTH

      John Coyle, Brisbane, Australia

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 9, 2009
        And I can add - again fairly uselessly - that I went to Lufkins barely
        6weeks ago, and sadly it is currently unused and slowly crumbling, which
        is a shame as it is a lovely old house, with what could be fabulous
        gardens and a stunning view.

        Incidentally, i discovered yesterday that one of my relatives happened
        to be born in Lufkins so i can probably find out a bit more about the
        history if you want.

        Rich
        (sadly leaving St. Helena in less than a week)

        John Coyle wrote:

        > Can't help you much with the history of "Luffkin's", but I can point out
        > where it is! If you have a map of the island handy, follow the road which
        > runs to the West of Sandy Bay, along the ridges and past High Peak. Just
        > where the road ends (on the 1966 map) at Thompson's Valley,
        > "Luffkin's" is a
        > small property at the end of the dotted road leading towards Sandy Bay.
        > During the course of the mutiny of 22/4/1693, John Lufkin was one of the
        > islanders held captive by the mutineers, and later taken on board the
        > "Francis and Mary", the ship the mutineers intended to use to escape the
        > island. He was later released unharmed.
        >
        > HTH
        >
        > John Coyle, Brisbane, Australia

      • artoriousellis
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 10, 2009
          --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Rich Perkins
          <rmperkins@...> wrote:

          Hi Rich,
          Thanks for that info , any information would be most welcome & also
          100% more than I currently have.The name of the family I am
          researching is ELLIS & on the LDS films of their marriages they
          stated Lufkins as their home?It is possible that my ggggrandfather ,
          John Ellis was a farmer there as on his marriage certificate his
          occupation is given as farmer.If there are any photo`s available that
          would also be great.
          Kind Regards
          Rob Ellis

        • Barbara MacLeod
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 16, 2009
            Hello and I am late in checking this mail but I am green with envy. I so want to visit afore the airport and will hope to get there soon. Cheers, B