"Lufkins"

  • artoriousellis
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 26, 2009
      Hi All,
      Can nayone help with information of a place/homestead/farm on St Helena
      named "Lufkins".Looking on the LDS films on marriages of my ancestors
      from the Island surname ELLIS , many of them stated in the marriage
      register as Lufkins being their home.
      Any help would be appreciated.
      Thanks
      Rob Ellis
    • John Coyle
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 27, 2009
        Can't help you much with the history of "Luffkin's", but I can point out
        where it is! If you have a map of the island handy, follow the road which
        runs to the West of Sandy Bay, along the ridges and past High Peak. Just
        where the road ends (on the 1966 map) at Thompson's Valley, "Luffkin's" is a
        small property at the end of the dotted road leading towards Sandy Bay.
        During the course of the mutiny of 22/4/1693, John Lufkin was one of the
        islanders held captive by the mutineers, and later taken on board the
        "Francis and Mary", the ship the mutineers intended to use to escape the
        island. He was later released unharmed.

        HTH

        John Coyle, Brisbane, Australia

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 9, 2009
          And I can add - again fairly uselessly - that I went to Lufkins barely
          6weeks ago, and sadly it is currently unused and slowly crumbling, which
          is a shame as it is a lovely old house, with what could be fabulous
          gardens and a stunning view.

          Incidentally, i discovered yesterday that one of my relatives happened
          to be born in Lufkins so i can probably find out a bit more about the
          history if you want.

          Rich
          (sadly leaving St. Helena in less than a week)

          John Coyle wrote:

          > Can't help you much with the history of "Luffkin's", but I can point out
          > where it is! If you have a map of the island handy, follow the road which
          > runs to the West of Sandy Bay, along the ridges and past High Peak. Just
          > where the road ends (on the 1966 map) at Thompson's Valley,
          > "Luffkin's" is a
          > small property at the end of the dotted road leading towards Sandy Bay.
          > During the course of the mutiny of 22/4/1693, John Lufkin was one of the
          > islanders held captive by the mutineers, and later taken on board the
          > "Francis and Mary", the ship the mutineers intended to use to escape the
          > island. He was later released unharmed.
          >
          > HTH
          >
          > John Coyle, Brisbane, Australia

        • artoriousellis
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 10, 2009
            --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Rich Perkins
            <rmperkins@...> wrote:

            Hi Rich,
            Thanks for that info , any information would be most welcome & also
            100% more than I currently have.The name of the family I am
            researching is ELLIS & on the LDS films of their marriages they
            stated Lufkins as their home?It is possible that my ggggrandfather ,
            John Ellis was a farmer there as on his marriage certificate his
            occupation is given as farmer.If there are any photo`s available that
            would also be great.
            Kind Regards
            Rob Ellis

          • Barbara MacLeod
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 16, 2009
              Hello and I am late in checking this mail but I am green with envy. I so want to visit afore the airport and will hope to get there soon. Cheers, B