Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Thomas Henry Gardiner

  • Ray Forsberg
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 20, 2009
      Hi John,

      Thanks for the response,

      Cheers,

      Carol

      On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 9:59 PM, gardiner.john@... <gardiner.john@...> wrote:

      Sorry, Carol. Don't think there is a connection.

      My great-great grandfather, Thomas Henry Gardiner, originally from St
      Helena, married Eleanor Payne on Xmas Eve 1877 at St
      Martin's-in-the-Fields church in London. Eleanor was definitely born in
      London

      1820 Settlers in the Cape is quite something to have in tyour family!
      Good luck with pursuing Ann.

      Kind regards.

      John

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Forsberg"

      <forsbergray@...> wrote:

      > Hi John,
      >
      > This is probably nothing to do with your family, but I have an Ann
      Payne in
      > my tree; she was born in 1823 in the E. Cape - parents were Elijah
      Payne
      > and Mary Hall; they also had a daughter, Mary, b. 1818 in Deverill
      > Longbridge, Wiltshire. This family were 1820 Settlers.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Carol

    • John Gardiner
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 21, 2009
        Welcome, Carol.  Keep on pursuing!

        <forsbergray@ ...> wrote:

        > Hi John,
        >
        > This is probably nothing to do with your family, but I have an Ann
        Payne in
        > my tree; she was born in 1823 in the E. Cape - parents were Elijah
        Payne
        > and Mary Hall; they also had a daughter, Mary, b. 1818 in Deverill
        > Longbridge, Wiltshire. This family were 1820 Settlers.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Carol

      • John Gardiner
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 22, 2009
          Hi, Su, don't know if this helps but the archives on the island have a marriage certificate stating that Henry Gardiner, 28 yrs, a gunner for the Regiment and living at Ladder Hill, married Lydia Scott, a 23 year-old spinster, on the 19 sept 1893.

          I'm still tryin gto work out if or how this Henry Gardienr is related to my own Gardiner/Gardner family, but thought the Lydia Scott connection might help you, especially as Henry and Lydia had a son, Walter, and his grandchildren are still alive.  Barbara George is the head of HR in the Govt. of St Helena, while Malcolm Gardiner lives in the UK.

          Just hope this might give you a lead.

          Best regards,

          John Gardiner

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 22, 2009
            Thanks John. My mother was a Scott. Su If you find any new info please let me know.
            Alan

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 23, 2009
              More than happy to do so, Alan.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 23, 2009

                This will not help but I have a Clarissa Scott on my tree, b 8 Mar 1801 on St Helena if you ever get back this far

                Dennis Bush-King.