Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Thomas Henry Gardiner

  • gardiner.john@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 20, 2009
      Sorry, Carol. Don't think there is a connection.

      My great-great grandfather, Thomas Henry Gardiner, originally from St
      Helena, married Eleanor Payne on Xmas Eve 1877 at St
      Martin's-in-the-Fields church in London. Eleanor was definitely born in
      London

      1820 Settlers in the Cape is quite something to have in tyour family!
      Good luck with pursuing Ann.

      Kind regards.

      John

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Forsberg"
      <forsbergray@...> wrote:

      > Hi John,
      >
      > This is probably nothing to do with your family, but I have an Ann
      Payne in
      > my tree; she was born in 1823 in the E. Cape - parents were Elijah
      Payne

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 20, 2009
        Sadly, I don't have much information. What I was told by Malcolm
        Gardiner, a Saint by birth but now living in London, is that his
        grandfather was Walter Gardiner. Walter was born in the Cape around
        1895 to a Gardiner father and a Scott mother (sorry, don't have either
        of their first names). The mother died giving birth to Walter, and soon
        after and for whatever reason, Walter was sent back to St Helena to live
        with his maternal grandparents.

        Malcolm Gardiner may know more but I don't think he's a member of this
        group. I'm seeing him next week in London and will ask him to join and
        share any other information he might have about his Scott family
        connections.

        Best regards.

        John

        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "su rowbotham"

        wrote:

        > Hello, everyone. I only found this group today, and looking through
        > some of the posts it has already helped me with new information about
        > my family.
        >
        > My name is John Gardiner, I live in London and I am the great-great
        > grandson of Thomas Henry Gardiner who was born in St Helena in 1857.
        > I am descended from Thomas through his daughter, my great-
        > grandmother, Eleanor. My grandfather, Benjamin Wallace Gardiner Snr,
        > kept his mother's surname.
        >
        > My family thought Thomas was from the Cape, though we knew of a
        > distant family link to St Helena. It's believed in my family that
        > one of Thomas's daughters, probably Louisa, returned to St Helena in
        > the early part of the 20th Century. Also, my grandfather used to
        > correspond with a relative on the island who lived above the post
        > office. His name was Walter Gardiner and it is believed he was born
        > in the Cape in 1895. His mother was from St Helena and it seems she
        > died giving birth to Walter. He was then sent back to St Helena to
        > live with his maternal family who were Scotts. Walter's grandson,
        > Malcolm Gardiner, was born on the island and now resides in London.
        >
        > I was really pleased to see other descendants of Thomas Gardiner
        > posting on this site and would like to contact them to share
        > information. I have more information on Thomas Henry's history in
        > Southwark, plus photos of Thomas, his wife Eleanor (nee Payne), my
        > great-grandmother, Eleanor, and one of her sisters, believed to be
        > Mabel. I'd like to find out more about the Gardiners, and would very
        > much like to find out more about Thomas Henry's mother, Louise.
        >
        > I look forward to sharing more information with you.
        >
        > Very best regards.
        >
        > John Gardiner

      • Ray Forsberg
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 20, 2009
          Hi John,

          Thanks for the response,

          Cheers,

          Carol

          <forsbergray@...> wrote:

          > Hi John,
          >
          > This is probably nothing to do with your family, but I have an Ann
          Payne in
          > my tree; she was born in 1823 in the E. Cape - parents were Elijah
          Payne
          > and Mary Hall; they also had a daughter, Mary, b. 1818 in Deverill
          > Longbridge, Wiltshire. This family were 1820 Settlers.
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Carol

        • John Gardiner
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 21, 2009
            Welcome, Carol.  Keep on pursuing!

            <forsbergray@ ...> wrote:

            > Hi John,
            >
            > This is probably nothing to do with your family, but I have an Ann
            Payne in
            > my tree; she was born in 1823 in the E. Cape - parents were Elijah
            Payne
            > and Mary Hall; they also had a daughter, Mary, b. 1818 in Deverill
            > Longbridge, Wiltshire. This family were 1820 Settlers.
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Carol

          • John Gardiner
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 22, 2009
              Hi, Su, don't know if this helps but the archives on the island have a marriage certificate stating that Henry Gardiner, 28 yrs, a gunner for the Regiment and living at Ladder Hill, married Lydia Scott, a 23 year-old spinster, on the 19 sept 1893.

              I'm still tryin gto work out if or how this Henry Gardienr is related to my own Gardiner/Gardner family, but thought the Lydia Scott connection might help you, especially as Henry and Lydia had a son, Walter, and his grandchildren are still alive.  Barbara George is the head of HR in the Govt. of St Helena, while Malcolm Gardiner lives in the UK.

              Just hope this might give you a lead.

              Best regards,

              John Gardiner

              I'm interested in the Scott family, do you know which Scotts that you are connected with?

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 22, 2009
                Thanks John. My mother was a Scott. Su If you find any new info please let me know.
                Alan

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 23, 2009
                  More than happy to do so, Alan.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 23, 2009

                    This will not help but I have a Clarissa Scott on my tree, b 8 Mar 1801 on St Helena if you ever get back this far

                    Dennis Bush-King.