996BROADWAY FAMILY OF ST HELENA

  • miranda7322
    Jan 8, 2009
      I am researching the family of Caleb BROADWAY(b.1752?, location N/K) of
      St Helena, particularly through his son Henry, a Captain in the East
      India Company. Henry's wife Eliza(beth) TORBETT died in 1820, but he
      went on to father many more children by (an) unknown mother(s). One of
      these children, Thomas Frederick (b.1828, St Helena) became a Master
      Mariner, & married an English girl, Mary Ann Garrard in the East End
      of London (thus producing my line).

      Caleb Broadway was baptised as an adult in 1777, then married Mary
      Watts later the same year. I have no record of him (or any other
      Broadways) before 1777.
      Their children:
      George b. 1778, m. Ann KNIPE 1798, d. N/K
      John b. 1780
      Charles b. 1782, d. 1784
      Mary b. 1785, m. Amorett YOUNG 1803, d. N/K
      William b. 1787, d. 1807
      Henry * b. 1788?, m. Eliza(beth) TORBETT 1808, d. N/K
      Robert Ballard b. 1791?

      Henry Broadway was a Lieutenant & later a Captain in the St Helena
      Artillery. He married Eliza(beth) TORBETT in 1808, & she died in 1820
      (in childbirth?).
      Their children:
      Louisa b. 1808, m. Frederick ALEXANDER 1832, d. N/K
      Eliza b. 1811
      Henry Caleb b. 1813
      William b. 1815
      James b. 1817
      Mary Charlotte b. 1820
      Henry's children by unknown mother(s):
      Eleanor Sarah b. 1822
      Charles Edward b. 1824
      Margaret Jane b. 1826
      Thomas Frederick * b. 1828
      Adelaide Geraud b. 1831
      Penelope Frances Mary b. 1832

      I would be very grateful for any information at all about the St Helena
      Broadways, but especially on Caleb's origins (was he the first Broadway
      in St Helena, & if so, where in the UK was he from?); any idea who the
      mother(s) of Henry Broadway's later children was/were?; what became of
      the Broadway family after St Helena returned to the Crown? I have
      reason to believe some may have gone to South Africa, but if so, who?
      and where did the others go?

      I have also traced a Byron Topping Broadway b. 1853 in St Helena; does
      anyone know who his parents were?

      I have already done extensive research (including trips to the British
      Library & National Archives), & am prepared for more, so any info or
      tips you can give me would be much appreciated!

      Many thanks,

      Miranda
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic