      Sent: Saturday, September 20, 2008 5:18 PM
      Subject: Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Richard Clingham

      Hi There,

      I have a Clingham ancestor. This was at an earlier date that yours. There are still Clinghams on Saint Helena so it is highly likely that they are offspring of the one, original Clingham family.

      There was a census done on Saint Helena in 1814 and there were no Clinghams mentioned in it so the original family or ancestor must have moved to Saint Helena between 1814 and 1856. The details I have are these:

      1) HENRY DEVLIN / MINOR / BACHELOR / PRIVATE ST H REG / JAMESTOWN

      married on 2.8.1856 TO

      CATHARINE CLINGHAM / MINOR / SPINISTER / JAMESTOWN

      2) Catherine Clingham was the daughter of William Clingham and Elizabeth Reid. She was born on Saint Helena in 1833. She died in Glasgow on 12 April 1912 in the Western Infirmary Hospital of cardiac valve disease and hyperstatic congestion of lungs.

      3) Catherine Clingham and Henry Devlin had five children:

      Catherine Devlin born on Saint Helena on 14th May 1863.
      Alice Devlin born in 1863, Glasgow, Scotland.
      Henrietta Devlin on 6th June 1875 in Glasgow, Scotland.
      Henry Devlin born in 1877 in Glasgow, Scotland.
      Georgina Devlin born in 1881 in Glasgow, Scotland.

      We can presume that the Devlins left Saint Helena by boat after the birth of Catherine Devlin on 14th May 1863. The birth dates of some of the children were from later Glasgow censuses so may be slightly out (for example Alice Devlin was supposedly also born in 1863 which would be in month 7 of mum's pregnancy?). People were not as good with dates in those days?

      4) Catherine Clingham could not write as she signed the birth certificate of Henrietta Devlin with a "x". This was fairly typical in those days as there was little or no formal schooling.

      I have traced this branch of the Clinghams through to the modern day in Scotland. Their offspring have married around Glasgow and thei descendants are now here and in Austrialia.

      Hope this all helps.

      Frank Craig

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic