911RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Earliest Legg Data

  • YVONNE LOUDON
    Apr 8 4:47 PM
      Hi again Christine
      Thanks for all the info, most of which confirms the searches I have already made.  I can't remember why I thought the first JL was a farmer.  So he was a victualer, but, what on earth is a 'Powke' maker ???
      If you descend through Emilia Knipe then you must know Glennis Snell who has written a wonderful tome on the Saints Knipes.  Her ancestors were Saints Knipes and her parents emmigrated to South Africa. Glennis has devoted her time in searching records in St Helena, South Africa, UK and anywhere else her internet journey took her.
      On my side, Henry William Legg (via Emilia/Amelia) married Charlotte Sears and their son Richard Samuel Legg married Laura Henrietta Knipe.
      Their Laura Emily Maria married Matthew Jago Lewis from Wales amd I am descended through them.  Again, I have no background info on Matthew, and looking for a 'Lewis' in Wales ....
      I guess we are very distantly related ... so, glad to meet you!
      Regards
      Yvonne
      Christine Adams <adamslab2@...> wrote:
      Hi Yvonne-
      The earliest "Legg" ancestor I've identified on St. Helena is John Legg, b. abt. 1735. He md. on St. Helena, 3 Nov 1754 to Mary Moulton. He d. 10 Jan 1762 on St. Helena. In a deed in 1759, he is described as a "Victualer and [Powke] Maker."
      I only have information on one child of his:
      John Legg, b. abt. 1758 on St. Helena, md. 1 1783 to Anne Harper, md. 2 1799 to Emilia Knipe [my ancestress]. This John, whose occupation was publican, and who was also noted to be a gentleman, d. 1829 on St. Helena.
      Despite years of tracking and researching my various "Saints" I have had no success bridging any back to the British Isles, except my Dowling ancestor, who didn't arrive on St. Helena until the time of Napolean's exile.
      Like you, I would dearly love to make that leap.
      Sorry I can't be of help.
      Christine

      To: st-helena-genealogy @yahoogroups. com
      From: Yvonne.loudon@ btinternet. com
      Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 23:51:37 +0100
      Subject: RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist. ] Surname - CHITCHEN & ELLIS

      Hi Christine
      I have just joined this group.
      My earliest ancestral arrival on St Helena was a John Legg in 1700 and something (sorry, don't have the facts at my finger tips at this moment).
      If you can give me any info about the Legg family I would be very grateful.   I have been in touch with my very distant cousin, Gilbert, who is still on the Island.
      Gilbert, if you read this, I salute you for all your kindness in passing on as much family info as you had.
      My biggest barrier is trying to find out where John originated in the UK so that I can trace our family back even further.  Or just knowing where he hailed from would be good.
      Regards
      Yvonne

      Christine Adams <adamslab2@hotmail. com> wrote:

      Rob Ellis wrote:
      I am trying to trace the origins of both the CHITCHENS & ELLIS of the Island.

      I have virtually no Ellis information in my database, except that Charlotte Emilia Legg md. John Ellis of H.M. 66th Reg't in 1820. If you ever connect to this couple, I do have a good bit of information on the Legg family.
      Christine

      ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ________
      Pack up or back up┬ľuse SkyDrive to transfer files or keep extra copies. Learn how.
      hthttp://www. windowslive. com/skydrive/ overview. html?ocid= TXT_TAGLM_ WL_Refresh_ skydrive_ packup_042008

      <*> Your email settings:
      Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to: