888BASSETT-KNIPE

  • Pam Allman
    Mar 9, 2008
      Hi

      I am looking for information regarding my great grandmother who came
      from St Helena. My great grandfather (from the UK) was shipwrecked
      off the coast of Tristan Da Cunha in 1820 and settled to live with the
      few islanders already there.

      In 1826 when Capt. Ammon of the Norwegian whaling sloop Duke of
      Gloucester called at Tristan, the governor requested that he try and
      find brides for the 5 bachelor men on the island. In April 1827 he
      returned with five young women of mixed Negro blood from St. Helena.

      One of these ladies was SARAH BASSETT-KNIPE and she lived with RICHARD
      RILEY for many years before leaving the island for SA where they both
      died.

      I know nothing of this lady and I would welcome any suggestions.
      Thanks.

      Pam Allman
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic