858Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Samuel & Mary Rawnsley, arrived on St Helena March 1826 aboard the Lord Lowther

  • Barbara MacLeod
    Jan 10, 2008
      Hello and thank you. I have already looked at the baptism, marriage and death microfilm but was unaware of the regimental documents. We have an LDS library just a few miles away and it has been most helpful but I will look again. I need to investigate the second and third son issue too as my ancestor was apparently second or third and thus went military.  I really would like to go to St. Helena; it would be a grand adventure! Regards and happy new year, B

      rawnsley17 <rawnsley17@...> wrote:
      Greetings Barbara - Happy New Year!

      Sorry its taken me a while to get back to you.

      The muster rolls for St Helena are available to view on film from
      your local LDS Centre (Latter Day Saints). If you go to
      familysearch. org you will be able to find where your nearest one is.

      It costs about £2 - £2.50 per film which they will then keep
      available for you to view (on site) for a month (longer if you want -
      at an additional cost). The muster rolls were done quarterly, giving
      quite a lot of detail (one film contained a good number of muster
      rolls from what I remember) - I was able to track my relative for the
      10 years he was there. They also have the baptism and burial records
      on film too which I found very useful and was able to trace all four
      of his children that were born there.

      If you need me to be more precise about just what I looked at, please
      get back to me. I will then get the film numbers for you. Good luck.

      Regards Pauline

      --- In st-helena-genealogy @yahoogroups. com, Barbara MacLeod
      <brbrmacleod@ ...> wrote:

      > Hello and I would be delighted to learn more about investigating
      the muster rolls as my ancestor was also in the St. Helena Regiment.
      He came to the island some time priot to an 1854 marriage there but I
      would love to learn from whence the came. Regards, Barbara MacLeod

      > rawnsley17 <rawnsley17@ ...> wrote: Greetings all
      >
      > I am new to this group. My 3xGreat Grandfather Samuel Rawnsley
      (born
      > in Bradford, Yorkshire in 1801) sailed out to St Helena aboard the
      Lord
      > Lowther with his wife Mary. Samuel served in the St Helena Regiment
      > for 10 years (I have been able to trace him in the Muster Rolls)
      > returning home in 1836 aboard The Maitland. By this time Samuel and
      > Mary had had four daughters - Sarah, Ann (my line), Charlotte Eliza
      and
      > Mary Elizabeth. I would be very pleased to hear from anyone who has
      > any further information or has connections with this family.
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Pauline

      Search.