841Re: captain whatley

  • martinallen78
    Nov 20, 2007
      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "John Coyle" <jcoyle@...>
      wrote:

      > Quick correction, I think Tom's wife might have been called
      Paulette, not Pauline - sorry, it was 40 years ago!

      > John Coyle
      > Brisbane, Australia

      retired from the Merchant Navy and bought a house: sorry,
      > > don't remember exactly where it was.
      > > Some little while earlier, he had married Pauline, a woman very
      much younger than he was, and they had a son, who was
      > > about two at the time. My first wife and I looked after the boy
      when Pauline was away for a while in the UK, in, I
      > > think, mid 1968.
      > > Unfortunately, the marriage didn't work out: Tom was pretty
      upset, and I recall that he left the island soon
      > > afterwards.
      > > I very much enjoyed his company, although he was much older than
      I at the time, and a much better drinker! No doubt
      > > that was why there is a bench with his name on it outside his
      favourite pub.

      > > Hope the above helps a little.
      > >

      > > John Coyle
      > > Brisbane, Australia