829Re: 17th and 18th century ancestors

  • lilliankw1
    Nov 4, 2007
      I don't know if this will help, but you can weed it out if you like.
      My ggg grandfather, William Kirby, was born in Ireland in 1795 and was
      in the St. Helena Regiment. He also retired from East India Company.
      I don't know enough to know if they are in any way connected. He met
      and married a widow, Ann Thompson, there and their children were
      Martha "Caroline" born in 1827 and Thomas (my gg grandfather) born in
      1831. They moved back to Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England where they
      had Henry in 1834. I found a William John Kirby in Capetown who was a
      storekeeper and who may be Tom's brother. Thomas named his son
      William John.
      I don't know whether William lived in Shrewsbury when he went into
      the military or if he went there directly from Ireland. I tend to
      believe he lived in Shrewsbury. There had been other Kirbys living
      there for some time and back then it was a tiny town.
      So far this is all the information I have on the Kirbys in St
      Helena. Hope it helps.

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "A.H. Schulenburg"
      <ahs@...> wrote:

      > If anyone has been able to trace their 17th or 18th century St
      Helena ancestors to their place of origin outside the island, I should
      be very grateful if they could let me know. Information on the origin
      of 19th century ancestors would also be of interest if they did more
      than just pass through the island.

      > You can email me on or off list.
      >
      > I am currently writing a paper on the settlement of the island.
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Alexander Schulenburg

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic