8My St Helena interests

  • olgapurbeck
    May 6, 2004
      My great great grandfather, Alfred Pasley Bell was born in 1802 in
      Bristol and joined the Hon. East India Co. and served as a soldier
      in the St Helena Regiment. In 1827 he married Charlotte Eleanor
      Wright and the couple later returned to Bristol where Alfred became
      one of the first inspectors in the new City police force.
      Charlotte (born on St Helena in 1808) and her 2 siblings were all
      baptised at the same ceremony in 1827, which took place 2 weeks after
      the burial of their father, James Wright, a native Saint and a
      captain in the St Helena Regiment. The 3 siblings were listed in the
      register as the children of James Wright and Elizabeth Price and were
      described as "born illegitimate and free"
      Can this mean that Elizabeth was an ex slave and James' concubine? I
      believe that after his death Elizabeth was supported by James' mother.
      I should love to know more about Elizabeth and her life as well as
      anything about the Wrights, the Desfountains and the Alexanders who
      are also part of my early St Helena ancestry.
      James' father was Britannicus Wright who was secretary to the island
      council
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic