77Re: John Thomas Gamble

  • gamblegenes
    Oct 19, 2004
      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "gamblegenes"
      <gamblegenes@y...> wrote:
      > Could anyone help me please. My great great grandfather John
      Thomas
      > GAMBLE was born on St Helena on 13 Dec 1817. He became a merchant
      > seaman and married Helen HOWLETT on the Channel Island of Guernsey
      on
      > 26 May 1853. He stated his father's name was John. His wife was
      the
      > informant on his death certificate 2 Oct 1885 and said his parents
      > were Thomas Gamble, soldier, and Mary HOUNDSWORTH. Is there any
      way
      > I can find out more about the parents and also if John Thomas
      Gamble
      > had any siblings. Thank you
      > Esther Dean

      Further to this message I have now found the baptism of John Thomas
      Gamble in 1818 (LDS film 0498605). The entry reads "John Thomas son
      of John Gamble and Mary Houndsworth/free/illegte".

      Can someone please tell me if the word "free" refers to the mother
      Mary or child John Thomas. If it refers to John Thomas does this
      mean that his mother Mary was a slave???

      Thank you
      Esther
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic