745Powell family

  • janet mclennan
    Aug 3, 2007
      I would like to find out a little more about why my grandfather's brother Charles E Powell and his wife Amy Dunford were posted to St Helena at least between 1891 and 1895. It is probable that Charles was in a Medical Corps. Three of his children were born in St Helena , namely Dorothy 1892, Charles Edward 1894 and Albert  1895. (from Army births and baptisms) How/Where would they have lived and what were conditions like?
      By 1897 he was back in England and a sergeant in the RAMC.
      I would like to know something about why he was in St Helena, was it normal to have a wife with you and have a family there? What was happening in St Helena at this time? I know only that it is a British colony. Any further information or sources to follow up will be gratefully received, Janet