      From: jamesteebee <jamesteebee@...>
      To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, July 9, 2007 12:21:34 PM
      Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Change your settings, please.

      Hello Hyacinth,

      I think you should change your settings, by going to 'Edit
      Membership' and choosing 'web only' as option for reading messages.I
      think this should do the trick.
      I must say, personally, I'm glad to read all the posts as they come
      and will take this opportunity to say hello to all the listers again.

      Regards

      James Brookes

      Regards --- In st-helena-genealogy @yahoogroups. com, Hyacinth Clayton

      dngsklldiane_ 202@... Can someone please look into this. Thanks.

      > Hyacinth
      >
      > dngskll <diane_202@. ..> wrote:
      > Hi Tina,
      >
      > I've sent
      this reply once but it seems to have got lost. Anyway
      this
      > is the repeat.
      >
      > Thanks for your reply. Your ancestor Geo Thomas came from where? He
      > is not mentioned in the 1814 census so he could have died before
      then
      > but the name Thomas is still only mentioned once in the census. A
      > Thomas Thomas. Alice is not mentioned although she is still
      obviously
      > on the island. Perhaps because she is now a married woman and has
      > changed her name? The name Essex is not on the census because
      > William her husband is in the St. Helena Regiment and would have
      been
      > included in the bulk military entry I presume. Therefore all the
      > Thomases seem to have disappeared.
      >
      > Do you see my problem? My Thomas family must have arrived from
      > elsewhere (unless we're all decended from 1 man!!!) and I can only
      > guess from the military which is a big brick wall.
      >
      > Once again, thanks for replying.
      >
      > --- In st-helena-genealogy @yahoogroups. com, "bty760432"
      > <tina.wakefield@ > wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In st-helena-genealogy @yahoogroups. com, tina wakefield
      > > <tina.wakefield@ > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Diane,
      > > >
      > > > In 1802 my ancestor Geo Thomas had a child, called Alice
      > Thomas,
      > > by his wife Dolly Chatham (who was a slave of the Honorable
      > > Company). There may have been more children from the marriage.
      > Alice
      > > was born 'f'ree' not a slave.
      > > >
      > > > In 1825 Alice Thomas had a child called Dorothea Essex by her
      > > husband William Essex( a drummer in the St
      Helena Regt) .

      > > > In 1843 Dorothea had a child babtised, father unknown, called
      > > Amelia George - who married my greatgrandfather Charles Pemberton
      > > Hough and the family moved to England.
      > > >
      > > > Hope this us some use. It is impossible to go further back in
      > > the female line as Dolly came from Madagascar on a slave ship and
      > > thee are no more records.
      > > >
      > > > Tina
      > > >
      > > > dngskll <diane_202@> wrote:
      > > > Does anyone know when the surname Thomas became so
      > > numerous on the
      > > > island. In the 1814 census there appeared to be only 1 Thomas.
      > > This
      > > > must mean that the name quickly became popular from some other
      > > source.
      > > > My G Grandmother Henrietta Thomas was born in Jamestown in
      1848.

      Her
      > > > father Evan Thomas married and died on the island but I could
      not
      > > find
      > > > birth evidence. From his death entry he was born c1822. This
      > brick
      > > > wall as to who his parents were and where he was born has been
      > > blocking
      > > > my research for 2 years. His name sounds Welsh. Perhaps his
      > father
      > > > brought his family over with a regimental posting? Any guesses
      at
      > > this
      > > > stage would be welcome. Have any other "Thomas" researchers
      > > managed to
      > > > delve further back than the middle of the 19th century?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks,
      > > >
      > > > Diane

      > > > New Yahoo! Mail is
      the ultimate force in competitive emailing.
      > > Find out more at the Yahoo! Mail Championships. Plus: play games
      > and
      > > win prizes.

      > Yahoo! Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for
      less, sign up for your free account today.