719Re: The "Thomas" surname on St Helena

  • dngskll
    Jun 7, 2007
      Hi Tina,

      I've sent this reply once but it seems to have got lost. Anyway this
      is the repeat.

      Thanks for your reply. Your ancestor Geo Thomas came from where? He
      is not mentioned in the 1814 census so he could have died before then
      but the name Thomas is still only mentioned once in the census. A
      Thomas Thomas. Alice is not mentioned although she is still obviously
      on the island. Perhaps because she is now a married woman and has
      changed her name? The name Essex is not on the census because
      William her husband is in the St. Helena Regiment and would have been
      included in the bulk military entry I presume. Therefore all the
      Thomases seem to have disappeared.

      Do you see my problem? My Thomas family must have arrived from
      elsewhere (unless we're all decended from 1 man!!!) and I can only
      guess from the military which is a big brick wall.

      Once again, thanks for replying.

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "bty760432"
      <tina.wakefield@...> wrote:

      > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, tina wakefield
      > <tina.wakefield@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Diane,
      > >
      > > In 1802 my ancestor Geo Thomas had a child, called Alice
      Thomas,
      > by his wife Dolly Chatham (who was a slave of the Honorable
      > Company). There may have been more children from the marriage.
      Alice
      > was born 'f'ree' not a slave.
      > >
      > > In 1825 Alice Thomas had a child called Dorothea Essex by her
      > husband William Essex( a drummer in the St Helena Regt) .
      > >
      > > In 1843 Dorothea had a child babtised, father unknown, called
      > Amelia George - who married my greatgrandfather Charles Pemberton
      > Hough and the family moved to England.
      > >
      > > Hope this us some use. It is impossible to go further back in
      > the female line as Dolly came from Madagascar on a slave ship and
      > thee are no more records.
      > >
      > > Tina
      > >
      > > dngskll <diane_202@> wrote:
      > > Does anyone know when the surname Thomas became so
      > numerous on the
      > > island. In the 1814 census there appeared to be only 1 Thomas.
      > This
      > > must mean that the name quickly became popular from some other
      > source.
      > > My G Grandmother Henrietta Thomas was born in Jamestown in 1848.
      > Her
      > > father Evan Thomas married and died on the island but I could not
      > find
      > > birth evidence. From his death entry he was born c1822. This
      brick
      > > wall as to who his parents were and where he was born has been
      > blocking
      > > my research for 2 years. His name sounds Welsh. Perhaps his
      father
      > > brought his family over with a regimental posting? Any guesses at
      > this
      > > stage would be welcome. Have any other "Thomas" researchers
      > managed to
      > > delve further back than the middle of the 19th century?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Diane

      > > New Yahoo! Mail is the ultimate force in competitive emailing.
      > Find out more at the Yahoo! Mail Championships. Plus: play games
      and
      > win prizes.

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic