687Re: Thomas family names

  • dngskll
    Jun 14 11:10 AM
      Hello Rob,

      Thanks for the info on the Thomas name. All facts help when up
      against the brick wall. It's interesting perhaps that these girls
      may well have been sisters and descended from the single male Thomas
      in the 1814 census but there are still no males to carry on the
      name. Evan Thomas, my GG Grandfather was born c1822 according to his
      death record on the island but no record of birth. Where did the
      Thomas name come from? How did it become so common a name on the
      island today when there don't seem to be many records of male
      Thomases born on the island before mid 1800? It's a great mystery and
      a huge brick wall.

      Regards,

      Diane
      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Hamilton"
      <SHIPPO2@...> wrote:

      > Just some random facts of information which may be of some interest
      to all those chasing the Thomas family history. This is information
      that I have uncovered in my search for Hamilton family history from
      St Helena to Melbourne Australia.

      > Sutton Isaac 9/9/1689-- 24/5/1738 born St Helena. Married Penelope
      1683---20/9/1747 born St Helena.
      > Child from this union.
      > Sutton Isaac 1716-13/8/1798 born St Helena. Married Ann Sutton
      1723---? Born England.
      > Child from this union.
      > George Isaac 1762--? Born England married Susanna Short 1773-1835
      born in England.
      > Child from this union.
      > James Isaack 22/7/1799----24/12/1884 born England married Harriet
      Thomas 1803 England.

      > Claire Thomas married George Seale 13 August 1832
      > Mary Thomas married John William Seale 6 September 1834.
      > Sarah Thomas married John Seale
      >
      > The three Thomas girls mentioned above I believe were all married
      on St Helena.
      > I hope this information is of some interest , and is not merely a
      duplication of known facts.

      > If any reader has any snippets of information regarding the
      Hamilton family I would be most appreciative of their assistance.

      > Regards to all.
      > Rob Hamilton, Melbourne Australia.

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic