681Re: The "Thomas" surname on St Helena

  • dngskll
    Jun 12, 2007
      Hello Tina,

      I also visited the island a few years ago, which is where I obtained
      my information re my Thomas family. It's a beautiful island and I
      wish I could visit again. I could trace the female side back to 1800
      but not the male line. Hence my original question about the origin
      of the name.

      I have arranged to see the St Helena pension and muster rolls 1789-
      1859 at my local LDS reading room. If I find anything re your Essex
      line, I'll let you know. In theory these rolls contain the name,
      rank, regiment etc. fot soldiers serving on St. Helena. I'm hoping
      the Thomas name will be amongst them with enough info to tie into my
      family.

      Regards,

      Diane

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "bty760432"
      <tina.wakefield@...> wrote:

      > Hi Diane,
      >
      > My detailed info comes from the Babtism records in the office on
      St
      > Helena which I visited two years ago. The exact records are -
      >
      > 1802
      > Babtised Alice Thomas daughter of Geo: Thomas and Dolly Chatham Free
      >
      > 1829
      > Babtised - Dorothea Essex June 11th 1829
      > Parents - Wiliam Essex, Drummer Artillary Band
      > - Alice Thomas
      >
      > I am visiting again this August and if I see anything related to
      the
      > Thomas family before 1814 I will let you know. I intend to
      > investigate the Essex side of the family this year.
      >
      > Tina
      >

      > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Diane Gaskell"
      > <diane_202@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Tina,
      > >
      > > Thanks for your reply. Your ancestor Geo Thomas came from
      where?
      > He is not
      > > mentioned in the 1814 census so he could have died before then
      but
      > the name
      > > Thomas is still only mentioned once in the census. A Thomas
      > Thomas. Alice
      > > is not mentioned although she is still obviously on the island.
      > Perhaps
      > > because she is now a married woman and has changed her name?
      The
      > name
      > > Essex is not on the census because William her husband is in the
      > St. Helena
      > > Regiment and would have been included in the bulk military entry
      > presume.
      > > Therefore all the Thomases seem to have disappeared.
      > >
      > > Do you see my problem? My Thomas family must have arrived from
      > elsewhere
      > > (unless we're all decended from 1 man!!!) and I can only guess
      > from the
      > > military which is a big brick wall.
      > >
      > > Once again, thanks for replying.
      > >
      > > Regards,