      From: sigridmcmahon <tesi@...>
      To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, June 6, 2007 9:17:28 AM
      Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Saul Solomon

      While researching my Solomon connection, I came across The Brown
      Family Papers, held at the University of Cape Town Libraries,
      Manuscripts and Archives, donated in the mid 1970ies by a member of
      the family of Joseph Solomon (brother of the above Saul)who left St.
      Helena in 1831 and settled in Cape Town. I ordered some photocopies
      and among them was a copy of notes from a Prayer Book that belonged
      to Saul Solomon. The inscription reads:
      S. Solomon.
      The gift of his mother which he received by the Europea Store Ship,
      4th July 1808.
      S. Solomon, born 25th December 1776
      Margaret Solomon, born 1st October 1782
      Births:
      Benjamin Solomon, born 23rd June 1801
      Phoebe Solomon, born 20th May 1804
      Henry Rob Solomon, born 28th July 1806
      Miriam Solomon, born 8th July 1808
      John Blenham Solomon, born 2nd December 1810
      The above were born at St. Helena.
      Margaret Sarah Solomon, born 5th January 1813 at 3 a.m. in London,
      West Square
      Lee Solomon, born 29th March 1815 at S. Helena
      It pleased the Almighty to take from me my dear wife, Margaret
      Solomon, the 14th June 1815 at 2 o'clock p.m.
      The Prayer Book is an indefinite loan to the Jewish Library in Cape
      Town.
      The Brown Family Papers also confirm what is mentioned in the Susser
      Archives, ie that Saul Solomon was one of 22 or 21 or 18 children
      (those are the numbers I have so far come across), that his father
      was Nathaniel Solomon and his mother was Phoebe de Metz, born in
      Leyden and part of a Dutch Jewish family some of whom settled in
      London. (Her sister Matilda de Metz married Levy Salomons and they
      are the parents of Philip Salomons and Sir David Salomons). Phoebe de
      Metz married Nathaniel Solomon at the age of 15 and apparently was
      left a widow at 40 and lived to a ripe old age in comfortable
      circumstances in London. The Solomon family seem to have originated
      in Kent and the places mentioned are Canterbury and Margate. (My
      Lewis Gideon (Solomon)gives his place of birth with Canterbury, Saul
      is supposed to have been born in Margate).
      Regards,
      Sigi